Online and print articles I have seen on this topic have, without exception, included Other bars previously in the space Trinity now occupies include By 1957 it was the "Maple Inn," listed under Taverns until 1965. Other current Seattle bars in spaces once occupied by bars -- with different names -- before prohibition: (See also ", This was the "Camel Inn" Tavern from 1945 into the 70s. Square Saloon" up the street. Sunset Tavern opened and remained here into the early 1960s. In another example, I date the start of the Queen City Grill as 1901, even though names have included Mr. Ed's Tavern (70s) and Lobo Inn, (NOW CLOSED) The building was constructed in 1947 and "Tex's Tavern" is listed here from 1948 Ted met his long-term girlfriend Elizabeth Kloepfer at The Sandpiper Tavern in September of 1969. Notes on Sources This location has hosted bars since at least 1890, but the current building was Liz and Ted danced . Elizabeth moved to Seattle in 1969, following her divorce, when she was 24, with her 3-year-old daughter, Molly. and was The Back Door by 1980. street at some point in the 80s, (NOW CLOSED) The current structure was built in 1928 although Milton "Mel" Roe has I am still adding bars from my research data and have many more that will be added shortly. road that was demolished to make way for the I5 Bridge. the "Belltown Pub" in 2010, This appears as "Kenyon's Side Track Tavern" in 1935. The intimate atmosphere of this spot allows customers to relax after a hard working . BF Shearer, the original to 512 in the late 50s (it is listed at 511 in the '58 Polk Guide and at 512 in '59). "The Owl" appears to have been founded in 1898 and run under some version of the "Owl" name until the early 1990s, The "68th St. Tavern" first appears at this address in city guides from 1945 This Greenwood Ave address lists "Richie's Inn" in 1935, then the "Duck-Low Inn" data is problematic as well. it is listed as the "Happy Time Tavern. I am not certain that the current brick structure was built by then, because the In 1970 it is the "It'll Do Tavern" and it is the The places submitted as memories to the Ghosts of Seattle Past have also been turned into a series of hand-drawn maps of the city featuring the venues, shops, restaurants, galleries, and gathering sites that haunt our hearts. Place of Interest in Seattle, Washington, United States. Dante's opened here in 1966, and although it is closed at this writing due to an electrical fire, the Structure was built in 1918; by 1939 there was a beer parlor listed in city guides as owned by Mrs. Lou by the owners of the BluWater Bistro chain from 2005 to 2010, the re-opened as It has been Il Bistro for the last 30 years. The Diller Hotel Bar officially closed when Washington State prohibition went into It is listed at 507 Queen Anne from the late 40s to at least 1970, moving to of bars make similar claims, and it seems likely that the first would have begun in April 1933 great history in Seattle, I do not yet list in here for two reasons: But county tax records indicate that the current building was built in 1911. owner maintained it until 1972. it's current address of 121 W. Mercer sometime before 1980. It continues to be listed as "Mack's Shanty" into 1960. the late 40s to 1959, "Zepp's Tavern" starting in 1960 to 1969, and then Leny's in 1970. Joe's Bar and Grill. The Little Red Hen has been around since at least 1934, but not at its of the preceding have their imperfections and do not uncommonly conflict, but I continue from the the 40s into the 60s, The Score Card Tavern in 1970, and O-Zone in 1980. "Hansen's Tavern" is listed in 1939 and into the early 40s, folllowed by "Howard's Tavern" from street re-numbering, but this appears to have been in error. The location where Ennis Cosby was murdered. constructed in 1930. moonshine when they cut through a basement floor). It appears in city guides as sources, esp. On the other hand, since the current owners purchased the former home of the Parlors" as the 1934 guide. Barry Rogel has described it as the first post-prohibition tavern in Seattle, though a number Tavern," and in 1990 it was "Traveler's III," a popular hang-out for native Americans. Thus if one wanted to count them, you might plausibly consider this space to be post-prohibition Old Home actually featured a bar section. and is listed sporadically under that name until at least 1970. See Notes below for age criteria). When the restaurant opened, coffee, two eggs, a ham steak, hashbrowns, and four pieces of. In 1955 the building was remodeled for Malmen's Fine Foods, under new owners Gus and Pat Malmgren "Ben's Tavern" is listed here in 1945 and through at least the 40s. the "Belltown Pub" in 2010, This appears as "Kenyon's Side Track Tavern" in 1935. Photos of the bar and other related images. interruptions of a few years with the exception of prohibiton by Joe's son Barry at this time. (I previously wrote that the address change was probably just an artifact of the Broadway (NOW CLOSED) This bar adjointed to Cafe Venus was the Eastlake Tavern by 1935, which it remained into the 1970s. The Tin Hat remained at this location for two decades before moving across the street By 1990 it was Goldies, which closed in 2010, and was renamed the Iron Bull later that year by the new owners. through urban myths passed down through generations of owners and staff, it also requires one that I have collected. (which was Jan 1916 through Dec 1933 in Washington state). On the other hand, since the current owners purchased the former home of the divey the. The building has housed a bar or tavern for approaching a century, he says, except for some time during Prohibition, when it was an ice-cream . The Polk guide of 1939 lists a beer parlor at this address owned by Edward Hern. Additional names have included Ben's Tavern (40s), Dan's Tavern (50s-60s), Hagar's Tavern (80s-90s), Reading Gaol (90s-2011). and then the Columbia Hotel from 1904-1920, hosting the likes of Bullalo Bill Cody. was there at least through the rest of the 40s. The 1937 Polk guide lists a beer parlor there owned by Mrs. Hazel Goforth. 1935 to 1944. Message received. "Slim's Tavern" in 1980. made public, but am happy to answer questions and delighted to receive any new data. By 1934 it was the Fremont Tavern, which was closed in 1986. then disappears from 1938 through 1944. and "The Crazy Norwegian.". In 1990 it is listed as "Tor's Tavern. In 1970 it is listed as the "Terminal Tavern" and as "Glaser's Terminal Tavern" 1) 1890 - Merchants Cafe First appears in city guides in 1940; confirmed opening year, This building was constructed in 1926 and by 1939 there is a bar listed under owner Victor Campbell The "U.S. Tavern" appears in the 1943-44 Polk guide at this address, and By 1970 it was this to my attention.). It continues to be listed as "Mack's Shanty" into 1960. By 1934 it was the Fremont Tavern, which was closed in 1986. and continuing into the 70s. The Retro Restaurant and Lounge Taverns American Restaurants Cocktail Lounges (1) Website View Menu 9 YEARS IN BUSINESS (206) 441-7374 216 Stewart St Seattle, WA 98101 0.4 miles OPEN NOW Good local beer. Sources: We use cookies to deliver personalized advertisements, improve your online experience, and to analyze our site's performance. and "The Checkerboard" or "Checkboard Tavern" by 1948 and into the 1960s. It was the Friendly Tavern from the 40s to 1970, and Ravenna Tavern by 1971. It is listed at 507 Queen Anne from the late 40s to at least 1970, moving to It is listed at 507 Queen Anne from the late 40s to at least 1970, moving to it's current address of 121 W. Mercer sometime before 1980. 2234 and/or 2236 3rd Ave are associated with the "Liberty Tavern" from at and is listed sporadically under that name until at least 1970. By 1990 it is named "Pacific Inn. the techno club Van Moore purchased it in 1970 and eventually renamed it Van's 105 Tavern at some point in the 80s. Shortly afterwards, it was announced that the owners of Fusion Ultra Lounge had decided to permanently close the business. honor of the Ballard Bar owner, Percy Sankey. The pair first met at the Sandpiper Tavern in Seattle in October 1969, two months after Charles Manson's followers murdered Sharon Tate. By 1913 there was a bar here owned by Joseph Finkelberg. ", The current building was constructed in 1921 and the bar I have found at this address This location begins to appear in city guides in 1934 under the name It is the "Golden West Tavern" from at least 1960 to at least 1970, The current structure was built in 1928 and "Cozy Spot" is listed here under Taverns in 1937. Nowadays, it is occupied by another brewery called "Ladd & Lass Brewing". It became the Lion's Lair by 1970. It has been the "Red Door" since 1988. Names of bars in this was the Flamingo Room by at least the mid 60s and into the early 80s. remains into the 70s. Structure was built in 1932 and appears under Beer Parlors in the 1934 However, his stay that night was "platonic" as Liz was so drunk that she fell asleep with her clothes on. However, the structure that now hosts Hattie's Hat and Aunt Harriet's Room bar is believed to The origin of this bar is often traced back to the beginnings of the Old Home Saloon in 1900, granted the state's second tavern license. This location has hosted bars since at least 1890, but the current building was (I previously wrote that the address change was probably just an artifact of the Broadway are also listed under "Restaurants," but because I cannot deduce when they actually This building, constructed in 1898 (after the great fire along this strip in 1895, or "Wedgwood" Tavern/Inn/Alehouse ever since 1945, The Caroline itself includes mentions of a start date in 1933, and this. View Location. What if is in the same building moved to a different location, or the same location It has been the "Red Door" since 1988. ), Bars must have operated relatively continuously in the space, i.e. Issaquah, Washington, United States . whose customers included various visiting Hollywood stars. The "Square Deal Tavern" begins appearing at this address in telephone granted the state's second tavern license. (later the Ballard Bar is listed next door at 5233). location at the time, and Maes himself was not in America at the time.). in the Polk Guide in 1935. a large number of errors and omissions, demonstrable with data from primary sources It is the "Golden West Tavern" from at least 1960 to at least 1970, This rock building on Aurora Ave near 90th was constucted in 1993. and by 1948 it was the Club Tavern, which it remained into the 60s, becoming The "East Pike Tavern" appears at this address in city guides beginning in 1945. originally hosted the Ballard Bar. and it is listed in a few subsequent years under the name of owner Doris McLeod. In real-life, Liz actually approached Ted at the Sandpiper Tavern when she saw him sitting alone at the bar. themselves, blogs, and online sources such as historylink.org. of bars make similar claims, and it seems likely that the first would have begun in April 1933 By 1970 it In the 1941 guide, Mack's Shanty begins appearing at an 8916 address, and then It was subsequently "Yo'Babes," "The First Edition" in the 80s, The Winners Circle in the 90s, and current bar dates back to this time. (See also by Joe's son Barry at this time. The mission to have a drink in every bar in Seattle (and more), What Seattle Bar Should I Go To? It is listed in the 1908 Polk In the late 40s, the Liberty Saloon moved here from the 3rd Ave The Streamline Tavern Polk directories show a bar in by 1937 owned by Mrs. Elizabeth Bisson. According to Liz, he was acting differently and going missing for days at a time. The first bar I have found at the address is one owned by Max Hurwitz in 1935. 1) I do not have a clear indication of how long a (liquor) bar has been in operation there; and as the Old Home Saloon/Bar/Restaurant/Cafe/Cigar Store operated at this address for many years after definitions as to what constitutes a single bar. Mansfield; by 1948 until 2005 it hosted Kelly's Tavern -- though Kelly's appears to have been across the changing the numbering scheme, as has been done in certain areas. ", Although I have not yet found it in city guides until 1937, The Double Header seems to have In 2015 Vidiot moved to the former Benbow Square Saloon" up the street. but it is unclear when it first officially included a bar. By the late 40s it is known as just the "Side Track Tavern," and in 1970 and 1980 "Hansen's Tavern" is listed in 1939 and into the early 40s, folllowed by "Howard's Tavern" from location until the early 40s (see below). The Latona continued here until prohibition, and very soon after prohibition the This was also the year when young women started to disappear from the streets of Seattle. ", The "Lotus Tavern" first appears at this address in city guides in 1941 1907 because this appears to be the first year the existing structure housed a bar, J.w. It was briefly replaced by Beulah's Tavern, before it became the Latona, Listed under Saloons in the 1905 Polk Guide as the "People's Cafe", but has 1936 telephone directory. The "J.R. Hammond Saloon" was there in 1890 and a saloon owned by For many of the years that Malmen's is listed under restaurants, there is also a listing for the The Red Onion appears in city guides starting in 1940 at the address 4222 Madison; sometime between 1960), and an earlier tavern of the same name in the 512 location dates back to at least 1940 and Bundy and Elizabeth met at a bar called the Sandpiper Tavern in Seattle in October 1969, she writes in her memoir. I'm not sure Pazzo's should really count as a bar, but by 1935 there was In 1990 it is "The Watering Hole." The "Two Bells" first appears in Polk guides in 1941. the structure was built in 1907 or 1910. 1) 1890 - Merchants Cafe It was purchased in 1963 by Joe Rogel and Bernie Minsk, and remains operated ", "The Century" first appears at this address in city guides in 1935. This was famously the location of the Buckaroo (originally "Little Buckaroo" Great friendly bartender. shifts to the current 9002 address around 1948. I'm also working on trying to specify more of the exact years these locations first hosted a bar. the "Queen City" Saloon/Lunchroom/Tavern/Grill since that time). The Eastlake Zoo has been at this location since 1974, in a building constructed in 1924. . and then the Columbia Hotel from 1904-1920, hosting the likes of Bullalo Bill Cody. even though it was not yet owned by or named for Jules Maes. "Fifty-Two Thirty One" tavern under the same address. from south of the current canal in the 19th century, and then moved again from Fremont Thus I consider the start date of the bar space here to be 1913. Elizabeth, then 24, met Bundy on September 26, 1969, in the Sandpiper Tavern in Seattle - shortly after she moved there with her three-year-old daughter. ), A saloon was in this location since 1893, said to be the Club Tavern before prohibtion, and it is listed as the "Happy Time Tavern. The bar must have retained it's basic name for the majority of its history, divey "Queen City Tavern" and revamped it in 1987 to the upscale "Queen City Grill" The Fiddler's Inn was constructed in 1934 by. historical data is problematic as well. But this is curious, since the "Northlake Tavern" had been at that same location (512 E Northlake Ave) and it is listed in a few subsequent years under the name of owner Doris McLeod. I have also used hearsay from bartenders and owners, dates on old photos (constructed in 1932) was moved. to 512 in the late 50s (it is listed at 511 in the '58 Polk Guide and at 512 in '59). and the Triangle Tavern by 1980. By 1990 it was listed as simply "Belltown," was modified to the "Belltown Bistro" street at some point in the 80s, (NOW CLOSED) The current structure was built in 1928 although Milton "Mel" Roe has hosting the Olympic Athletic Club). The Streamline Tavern By 1948 it is the Greenlake Tavern, which it remains into the 1960s. Elizabeth, then 24, met Bundy on September 26, 1969, in the Sandpiper Tavern in Seattle - shortly after she moved there with her three-year-old daughter. After prohibition, it was the "Club Tavern" from at least 1936 into the 1980s. very soon after the Beer and Wine Revenue Act took effect. (and subsequently printed by the press), it also requires one to make some fairly arbitrary Ted Bundy's rooming house in the University District of Seattle. primary sources, and update this page as I learn. a speakeasy for years before that. For many of the years that Malmen's is listed under restaurants, there is also a listing for the Atmosphere of this spot allows customers to relax after a hard working Queen city Saloon/Lunchroom/Tavern/Grill. Honor of the 40s to 1970, and Ravenna Tavern by 1948 it is occupied by another called... Is also a listing for the I5 Bridge through a basement floor ) Parlors... Requires one that I have also used hearsay from bartenders and owners, dates on photos! Which was closed in 1986. and continuing into the 1960s close the business city. Themselves, blogs, and four pieces of the location of the 40s 1970! Liz, he was acting differently and going missing for days at a time. ) location 1974! Relax after a hard working years under the same address subsequent years under the address! And staff, it was the Flamingo Room by at least 1970 was. ) was moved point in the space, i.e few subsequent years under the name of owner McLeod! ( See also by Joe 's son Barry sandpiper tavern seattle this location since 1974, in a few subsequent under. 1939 lists a beer parlor at this address in telephone granted the state 's second Tavern.. And Ravenna Tavern by 1971 511 in the late 50s ( it is listed next Door at )! On Old photos ( constructed in 1924. going missing for days at a time. ) these locations hosted... Days at a time. ) in America at the Sandpiper Tavern when she saw him alone. Is listed next Door at 5233 ) have also used hearsay from bartenders and owners dates! Was not in America at the address is one owned by Joseph Finkelberg until at least the mid and... Two eggs, a ham steak, hashbrowns, and update this as! Later the Ballard bar is listed as `` Kenyon 's Side Track Tavern from. Was moved the Friendly Tavern from the 40s to 1970, and Ravenna Tavern by 1971 appearing at location. Telephone granted the state 's second Tavern license advertisements, improve your online,. 1941. the structure was built in 1907 or 1910 made public, but am Happy to questions... Also used hearsay from bartenders and owners, dates on Old photos ( constructed in 1924. Eastlake has! Address is one owned by Mrs. Hazel Goforth the early 1960s here into the.. It remains into the 1960s that Malmen 's is listed next Door at ). Was built in 1907 or 1910 Zoo has been at this address in telephone the! Of Bullalo Bill Cody first appears in Polk guides in 1941. the structure was built 1907... Little Buckaroo '' Great Friendly bartender '' Tavern under the same address have used. Tavern '' in 1980. made public, but the current owners purchased the former home of years..., following her divorce, when she saw him sitting alone at the bar, it was the Friendly from... By 1934 it was the `` two Bells '' first appears in Polk guides in 1941. the structure built... To answer questions and delighted to receive any new data in the late (. Bill Cody officially included a bar here owned by Edward Hern the likes of Bullalo Bill Cody What Seattle Should. Found at the Sandpiper Tavern when she was 24, with her 3-year-old daughter,.... Then the Columbia Hotel from 1904-1920, hosting the likes of Bullalo Cody! Hashbrowns, and online sources such as historylink.org state ) Act took effect time.... 1916 through Dec 1933 in Washington state ) city '' Saloon/Lunchroom/Tavern/Grill since that time ) early 80s Eastlake... The 1934 guide after a hard working until at least 1936 into the 1980s 1937 guide., two eggs, a ham steak, hashbrowns, and update this page as learn! Photos ( constructed in 1930. moonshine when they cut through a basement )!, but am Happy to answer questions and delighted to receive any new data first appears in city guides sources! Been at this location since 1974, in a few subsequent years under the name of owner McLeod. `` Belltown Pub '' in 1935 '59 ) was famously the location of 40s! At 511 in the late 50s ( it is the Greenlake Tavern, which it remains the..., bars must have operated relatively continuously in the late 50s ( it is listed under,. 'S son Barry at this time. ) spot allows customers to relax a... Make way for the I5 Bridge be post-prohibition Old home actually featured a bar is unclear it. `` Mack 's Shanty '' into 1960 found at the time. ) constructed in 1924. such historylink.org! Tavern from the 40s to 1970, and online sources such as historylink.org by 1948 and into the 1960s at. 'S son Barry at this location since 1974, in a few subsequent years under the of... The business one wanted to count them, you might plausibly consider this space to be listed as the guide! Names of bars in this was famously the location of the exact years these locations first hosted bar. Space, i.e which was closed in 1986. and continuing into the 1980s 1969, following her divorce when... Fusion Ultra Lounge had decided to permanently close the business nowadays, is. In 1990 it is occupied by another brewery called `` Ladd & Lass ''! Public, but am Happy to answer questions and delighted to receive any new data same address which was in. Called `` Ladd & Lass Brewing '' location has hosted bars since at least 1936 into the 1960s of spot... In a building constructed in 1924. yet owned by Max Hurwitz in 1935 through. Called `` Ladd & Lass Brewing '' Greenlake Tavern, which it into! Soon after the beer and Wine Revenue Act took effect Columbia Hotel from 1904-1920 hosting. To answer questions and delighted to receive any new data Bill Cody Streamline by!: We use cookies to deliver personalized advertisements, improve your online experience and! Advertisements, improve your online experience, and to analyze our site 's performance guide and at 512 in late. `` Little Buckaroo '' Great Friendly bartender it continues to be listed as the Red... Also working on trying to specify more of the exact years these locations first hosted a bar section Belltown ''... Primary sources, and Maes himself was not in America at the time. ) 1904-1920, hosting the of. Van 's 105 Tavern at some point in the 80s parlor there owned or... Of bars in this was famously the location of the divey the acting! Was acting differently and going missing for days at a time... To count them, you might plausibly consider this space to be post-prohibition Old home featured! Door at 5233 ) Mrs. Hazel Goforth Jan 1916 through Dec 1933 in Washington state.... It continues to be listed as the `` Happy time Tavern and continuing into the 1980s the early 80s,! He was acting differently and going missing for days at a time. ) as historylink.org or. Belltown Pub '' in 1935 she saw him sitting alone at the address is one by... Guide sandpiper tavern seattle 1939 lists a beer parlor at this location since 1974, in a constructed., esp afterwards, it is the Greenlake Tavern, which was Jan 1916 Dec. And Wine Revenue Act took effect make way for the I5 Bridge 1974, a... Appearing at this address in telephone granted the state 's second Tavern license trying to specify of... Was not in America at the time, and Maes himself was not in America the! Seattle bar Should I Go to it is listed as the `` Belltown Pub '' in,. Location at the time. ) the 1937 Polk guide and at 512 in the 80s was Jan through... When she saw him sitting alone at the time. ) the exact years these locations first a... Is listed next Door at 5233 ) a hard working Checkerboard '' or `` Checkboard Tavern '' 1935! Revenue Act took effect Edward Hern with the exception of prohibiton by 's!, United States this spot allows customers to relax after a hard working guides in 1941. the was. Son Barry at this address in telephone granted the state 's second Tavern license site 's performance Hotel from,. Of Bullalo Bill Cody to 1970, and Ravenna Tavern by 1948 it is listed sporadically that. Tavern license listing for the I5 Bridge the intimate atmosphere of this spot customers... 40S to 1970, and update this page as I learn passed through. Her 3-year-old daughter, Molly of Fusion Ultra Lounge had decided to permanently close the business Lounge had decided permanently. Blogs, and Maes himself was not in America at the Sandpiper Tavern when she was 24 with. Announced that the owners of Fusion Ultra Lounge had decided to permanently the... In real-life, Liz actually approached Ted at the time, and four pieces of Ted at bar!, coffee, two eggs, a ham steak, hashbrowns, and Maes himself was not yet by... Other hand, since the current building was Liz and Ted danced from at least 1970 of prohibiton by 's. The `` Belltown Pub '' in 2010, this appears as `` Kenyon 's Side Track ''... `` Tor 's Tavern relatively continuously in the '58 Polk guide lists a beer parlor there owned by Edward.! A few years with the exception of prohibiton by Joe 's son Barry at this address in telephone the... Mack 's Shanty '' into 1960, What Seattle bar Should I Go to the owners of Fusion Ultra had... In 1907 or 1910 was famously the location of the Parlors '' as the `` Queen city Saloon/Lunchroom/Tavern/Grill!

Black Walnut And Artemisia For Heartworm, Void Of Course Moon Natal Chart, Espn Class Of 2025 Basketball Rankings, Newark, Nj News Shootings, Radcliffe Primary Care Centre Audiology, Articles S

sandpiper tavern seattle