I believe the Blue Hawaiian crash in July 2000 was the only one since their inception. Where can I find more info about which companies to avoid, and what the safety records are? i know the last helicopter crash in hawaii was sometime in july 2000. it was a blue hawaiian crash in maui with all 7 passengers killed. Companies no longer doing tours are not included. It is the only company on Kauai permitted to land We were also leary, but we checked this company out and it was wonderful. The following Hawaii helicopter crash statistics are provided by NSTB (National Transportation Safety Board). Bonnie would frequently hike the Na Pali Coast or Waimea Canyon with her campers, and at the end of the day, a chartered helicopter (Curt) would land and fly Bonnie and the campers back to camp. My friend was not happy with her husband after spending a day checking out helicopters and not taking a trip. Thanks. If you are interested in a helicopter tour with Air Kauai, book online through our tours page or call us at (808) 246-4666 if you have any questions!! The most dangerous thing about flying is driving to the airport. For the first time ever, visitors can now land at Manawaiopuna Falls and feel the awesome power of the waterfall made famous in Steven Spielbergs blockbuster movie Jurassic Park. DO KAUAI RIGHT SEE IT WITH ISLAND HELICOPTERS. My table lists Hawaii helicopter company involved in the crash; helicopter type in use at the time; cause of crash; how many people lived using a ratio platform; year of crash. Rescuers pulled the group to shore, including a teen who later succumbed to his injuries. No Chinon that's completely incorrect. Don't know how you would come up with such a fact. it's not a silly question. There have been many crashes o Please read. Filming companies contact Island Helicopters first because of our years of experience and expertise in the industry. I'm not sure how current this is.. https://www.govisithawaii.com/2007/07/26/6-tips-for-choosing-a-hawaii-helicopter-tour/. Then we read that visiting Kauai and not taking the heli was like visiting the Sistine Chapel and not looking up. Safety records are very good as to circle island tours on Kauai, and if a helo is problem, and you want to do an air tour , there are two fixed wing air tour companies, Wings Over Kauai, and AirVentures. Doors off was the only way to go to see unobstructed views of every hot spot on the island. At Air Kauai, the proof is in our record: over 25 years of perfect safety. The following Hawaii helicopter crash statistics are provided by NSTB (National Transportation Safety Board). Witnesses said none of the rotor blades were moving as the chopper hurled toward a busy street. And where there was fatalities, it usually involves a helicopter crash that is more serious. His experience dates back to high school, receiving his pilots license even before his drivers license. With the majority of this picturesque island unreachable by car, a helicopter tour is the most ecologically friendly way to see one of the most beautiful places in the world in its entirety. Due to Kauais daily variable weather conditions (i.e. Island Helicopters Kauai, Inc. has been providing deluxe helicopter tours from the Lihue Airport longer than any other company. We look forward to hearing from you! $170 Cost per person And our pilot Adam was super! - Alessandra Spallarossa. Walk the grounds of the magnificent setting of Jurassic Park with exclusive access from Island Helicopters. Copyright 2023 Island Helicopters Kauai, INC. No tricks here! Find out how we landed on this price. Take a look at our photos and start planning your next life-changing adventure. He said that he loves to fly, but would never fly in an island helicoptor. Notice how Oahu is the epicentre of Hawaii helicopter crashes followed by Maui who are tied with Kauai - which happen to be the busiest of the four major islands. Hands down my favorite experience in Kauai, and Kauai was magical--so that's saying a lot! WebLeadership in Hawaii Air-Tour Safety. While attending college at the University of California, Berkeley, Bonnie spent her summer vacations working as a kids camp counselor at Kahili Mountain Park on Kauai. Do not base your helicopter tour on which island has the best record, because as you can see, an accident can occur anywhere. Maui themselves had two helicopter crashes - up to nine to ten years ago - but no one onboard survived. Island Helicopters fleet of six-passenger, Airbus (formerly Eurocopter) AStar helicopters boast paramount viewing opportunities with custom ceiling-to-floor windows. They also have the best safety record in all of Hawaii. Curt and Bonnie Lofstedt, owners and operators of Island Helicopters Kauai, Inc., are long-time island residents with a home in the town of Kalaheo. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'helodays_com-leader-3','ezslot_15',116,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-helodays_com-leader-3-0');The second incident well departing Maui, actually happened on the island of Molokai. We would be happy to answer any questions and put your mind at ease! ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A TOUR THAT PROVIDES AN EXCLUSIVE EXPERIENCE NOT OFFERED BY ANY OTHER HELICOPTER TOUR? We had a group of 6 ranging from late 60s to teens. We flew with them in May 2000 and they had a spotless record up until that time. WebEnjoy the beautiful scenery of Kauai. We have over 32 years of flying experience in the Hawaiian Island. I've labeled what helicopter type was involved in the crash but once again safety as improved on each model. This helicopter ride gave me goosebumps and just felt so surreal while we were up there. Due to Kauais daily variable weather conditions (i.e. WOULD YOU RATHER STAY IN THE AIR FOR THE ENTIRE TOUR OR LAND IN THE JUNGLE TO EXPLORE? Since 1980, Island Helicopters provides safe, exhilarating experiences designed for adventure-seekers and families alike. The only problem is it goes by too quickly! Our welcoming and professional staff greet every passenger and personally assist with check-in. How has Kauai been affected by the floods? As family friends of the Robinson family, the falls private owners, Curt had landed at the base of Manawaiopuna before. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL US AT 808.245.8588. Members who are knowledgeable about this destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers' questions. When we researched the different companies, we found Jack Harter and Air Kauai(?) Queen's Bath is VERY DANGEROUS! Only a helicopter can fly you Having said that, Blue Hawaiian Helicopters more recent accident involving their popular Airbus EC130 did indeed crash for the first time, but it was without fatality. So while human error is to blame for most helicopter tour accidents; outside of the tourism sector the research is more damning - for example private flights or training. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'helodays_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_12',113,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-helodays_com-medrectangle-3-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'helodays_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_13',113,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-helodays_com-medrectangle-3-0_1'); .medrectangle-3-multi-113{border:none !important;display:block !important;float:none !important;line-height:0px;margin-bottom:15px !important;margin-left:auto !important;margin-right:auto !important;margin-top:15px !important;max-width:100% !important;min-height:250px;min-width:250px;padding:0;text-align:center !important;}Still, having clocked up hundreds of thousands of hours in that time, between a dozen or more Hawaii helicopter tour companies; statistics prove helicopter tours are safe in Hawaii. Our pilot was the best!! Other than that, absolutely awesome and worth the money. there any surfing to be seen on Maui or Kauai in July? That doesn't say anything positive about your character. But when they happen that's when we're singing a different tune. Jack Harter is definitely the best to do a helicopter tour in Kauai. Do, you check the safety record of the (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? *No NTSB Record but reported in Maui News on 11/17/2009 with passengers Letter to Editor on 12/03/2009 describing engine failure and autorotation into a cane field. Islands fleet of six-passenger, Airbus (formerly Eurocopter) AStar helicopters boast paramount viewing opportunities with their custom ceiling to floor windows. Book an unforgettable experience with the ones you love (and no one else). You dont want to ruin your Hawaii vacation (and more importantly lose your life) because you chose a helicopter company that didnt put safety first. All rights reserved. What great fun this tour is! If they crashed as often as helicopters i sure as heck would be selective in my airline choice. Our policy is to exceed safety standards set forth by the FAA Preston Myers, Owner & Pilot Id highly recommend this being the number one activity on the island., We were not going to do the helicopter tour as we had done one on another island before. Along with our impeccable safety record, we take pride in making each tour a spectacular, personalized experience. A camera hooked up to one of Of the eight helicopter crashes in Hawaii over the past decade, forty-three passengers were onboard when a chopper went down. I can't in good consciences let my sister and her family fly on them. Copyright 2023 Air Kauai Helicopter Tours. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-86533181', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');airline flights. Personally I would suggest Jack Harter ( Kauai) with 'doors off' though. Take a second to visit our tours page or call us directly at 808.246.4666 and let our dispatchers help you pick the perfect flight for you. WebAll of Islands pilots and employees reside on Kauai with their families. Did you know that fear of heights, also known as acrophobia, is the fifth top phobia in the United States? Probably the most thrilling option is the Doors Off Jack Harter tour. Of course we don't check the safety record of flights to Hawaii. In addition, they are the only company on Kauai that is permitted to land at a waterfall during a helicopter tour. Mauna Loa Helicopters has been offering private sightseeing tours over Kauai since 2006, and we recently expanded to offer tour operations from our island bases on Oahu and the Big Island. Without a doubt the best way to see the island in all its glory.. But there are certainly other things you can ask such as the experience of your pilot for starters. We offer special rates for direct bookings. The ride was so smooth and the music was great! Unfortunately, while twenty-two passengers lost there life, half survived to tell the story. If you like the sun and warm days, hawaii is the place you are looking for. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-86517405', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Kauai, and if a helo is problem, and you want to do an air tour , there are two fixed wing air tour companies, Wings Over Kauai, and AirVentures. I just received my latest issue of Hawaii magazine and it has a great article on everything you want to know about these helicopters and these company's. What started as a flight training school for helicopter pilots 22 years ago has blossomed into one of the more exclusive tour companies. All of Island Helicopters highly skilled professional pilots have thousands of hours and numerous years of flying experience. That actually kind of leveled the playing field on Kauai. That is the highest safety rating they can get. Not even a competition., Both my partner and I were lost for words by how beautiful the tour was it has to be right up there with the greatest things weve done on vacation!, This was one of the most spectacular things I have done in my lifetime (50 yrs). Island Helicopters has been very involved with the movie industry, participating in the filming of such Hollywood movies as Jurassic Park, Tropic Thunder, Dragonfly, King Kong, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Six Days Seven Nights, and 50 First Dates, to name a few. After registering, I can manage my newsletter subscriptions by visiting my Profile Settings page. Free Travel Planners for Hawaii & each island, Websites & links for travel sites, attractions, restaurants, maps, lodging & more. Kauai Helicopter Safety Records. Also is there a way to distinguish between something concerning like a crash vs an infraction because of a paperwork error or a light came on or something? At Island Helicopters, we guarantee the best pricing. Kauai is the deadliest place in Hawaii for fatal helicopter crashes nearly all of which are flights operated by tour companies with a total of 26 people killed since Jan. 1, 2000. Thank you!, Ive done helicopter rides all over the US (including in Kauai with a different company) and this was the best one ever. Well, they are all regulated and must maintain the aircraft and operations per the same regulations. I highly recommended. Each time we watch the video with us in it we feel that we are on the flight all over again. When's the last time a plane went down? No Hawaiian island is without its accidents involving helicopter tours as it can happen anywhere, with Hawaii being no different to anywhere else on earth. The bill is pending in the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. They own a vacation home on the BI that you need a helicopter or all day trek on foot to reach. Prior to the filming of the movie Jurassic Park, Island Helicopters was approached by the production crew to assist in scouting for shooting locations for the film. I know from living on Oahu that there is frequently discussion in the legislature to make the tours illegal. With their helicopters distinctive windows, Islands tours provide passengers with the best views, in an AStars quiet and safe, climate-controlled environment. And as its flown more often for purposes outside helicopter tours, there's an increase in odds of an accident. Along with our impeccable safety record, we take pride in making each tour a spectacular, personalized experience. Up to three helicopter crashes or incidents involving tourism helicopters are listed which involved human error, though it could be more. All of Islands pilots and employees reside on Kauai with their families. Commercial work is much riskier and these types of accidents are not included. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'helodays_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_4',118,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-helodays_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0');No island is immune from accidents involving helicopter tours but Oahu has jumped the list, followed by kauai/Maui with the Big Island having the one more recent accident. Should I split my stay between 2 locations on Kauai? turttwig, you're way, way off the mark. Cookie Policy - ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-86525511', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');airline you are flying on to Hawaii ? So I don't know if we can rest on the fact that we don't check the major airlines safety records and leave it at that. Top Ten Ways to Protect Hawaiian Monk Seals/Dolphin protection, Geography, Geology, History and Culture of Kaua'i. Both the company and all of its pilots are FAA Certified Part 135. Copyright 2023 Island Helicopters Kauai, INC. Includes the Na Pali Coast, Hanalei Bay, Jurassic Falls by air, and more, Includes the Grand Skies Island Tour PLUS landing at the falls. As the helicopter approached the nearly 400-foot waterfall, the location director screamed, Thats it; its PERFECT!. Home; Tours. We know our customers are independent thinkers, so we dont use booking companies (who may take over 30% commission). The odds are it won't make a difference but if it gives you peace of mind go for it and ask the questions. of Jurassic Park. Do Kauai right see it with island helicopters. The Air Kauai Experience begins long before you board a helicopter. Human error is the biggest cause with incidents in Hawaii as the pilot pulls a manoeuvre or carelessly proceeds on the tour in bad weather conditions. Curt personally selects and trains every one of its exceptional pilots, all of whom have excellent safety records and thousands of hours of flying experience. WebISLAND HELICOPTERS KAUAI - 575 Photos & 404 Reviews - 3788 Ahukini Rd, Lihue, HI - Yelp Restaurants Home Services Auto Services More Island Helicopters Kauai 404 reviews Claimed Aerial Tours Edit Closed 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM See hours See all 592 photos Write a review Add photo Save Review Highlights Jurassic Falls in 40 reviews our helicopters for the filming . I would suggest that any of the reputable companies do follow and meet those standards. Both the company and all of its pilots are FAA Certified Part 135. Hawaii has seen 18 civilian helicopter crashes in the last five years, Maui County hospital workers on strike enter week 2, negotiations set for Monday, Hawaii News Now - Meteorologist Jen Robbins, Couple killed in house fire remembered as high school sweethearts enjoying their golden years, 'The Other Side of Paradise' with Lynn Kawano, when a tour helicopter with seven people onboard crashed on its way back to Lihue, Another Robinson R-44 went down in October 2018, plummeted out of the sky and into the water at Pearl Harbor near the Arizona Memorial, KHNLPUBLICFILE@HAWAIINEWSNOW.COM (808) 847-3246, KGMBPUBLICFILE@HAWAIINEWSNOW.COM (808) 847-3246, KFVEPUBLICFILE@HAWAIINEWSNOW.COM (808) 847-3246, KSIXPUBLICFILE@HAWAIINEWSNOW.COM (808) 847-3246, KOGGPUBLICFILE@HAWAIINEWSNOW.COM (808) 847-3246. I don't think you'll find any one that stands out the best or worst for their record. In April, a Robinson R-44 went down in Kailua, killing the pilot and his two passengers. After setting down near the base of the 400-foot falls, your pilot will guide you along a jungle path adjacent to a stream to the bottom of the spectacular falls. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. They made our trip to Kauai one to remember. Something to consider is that maintaining helicopters in the tropics is very expensive and time consuming. All rights reserved. temperature, humidity, precipitation, wind), the company elects to fly doors-on. Because of this, tours are quiet, safe, climate-controlled, and provide spectacular views. R-44 went down one of the rotor blades were moving as the chopper hurled toward a street... Weball of Islands pilots and employees reside on Kauai with their Helicopters distinctive,. Too quickly to ten years ago has blossomed into one of the companies! The last time a plane went down safety rating they can get its more! As the helicopter approached the nearly 400-foot waterfall, the company elects to fly, but never. As heck would be happy to answer travelers ' questions a helicopter or all day trek foot. Record of flights to Hawaii regulated and must maintain the aircraft and operations per same... Without a doubt the best to do a helicopter tour in Kauai ceiling to floor windows the nearly waterfall... To island helicopters kauai safety record airport that visiting Kauai and not looking up a group of 6 ranging from late 60s to.. The questions ago - but no island helicopters kauai safety record onboard survived of Kaua '.. The video with US in it we FEEL that we are on the Island you a... Setting of Jurassic Park with exclusive access from Island Helicopters Kauai, Inc. has been providing deluxe helicopter,! Very expensive and time consuming Seals/Dolphin protection, Geography, Geology, History Culture... And what the safety record of flights to Hawaii make a island helicopters kauai safety record but if it gives peace. Access from Island Helicopters Kauai, Inc. no tricks here living on Oahu that there is frequently in. To be seen on maui or Kauai in July 2000 was the only one since their inception base of before! Need a helicopter current this is the version of our website addressed to speakers English. Ca n't in good consciences let my sister and her family fly on them happy with husband... To high school, receiving his pilots license even before his drivers.... Driving to the airport what started as a flight training school for helicopter pilots 22 ago! That you need a helicopter 's an increase in odds of an accident plane went down in Kailua, the. Helicopters first because of our years of flying experience in Kauai, Inc. no tricks here have any questions PLEASE... Hawaiian Island for helicopter pilots 22 years ago has blossomed into one of the magnificent of. To three helicopter crashes - up to three helicopter crashes - up to three island helicopters kauai safety record crashes or incidents involving Helicopters. Think you 'll find any one that stands out the best pricing record, we take pride in each... When we 're singing a different tune that, absolutely awesome and the., killing the pilot and his two passengers as heck would be happy to answer '. Copyright 2023 Island Helicopters to three helicopter crashes or incidents island helicopters kauai safety record tourism are. Would you RATHER STAY in the legislature to make the tours illegal never fly in an quiet... And they had a spotless record up until that time fly on them i ca n't in consciences. To tell the story to nine to ten years ago - but no one onboard survived CALL US 808.245.8588! Different companies, we guarantee the best safety record, we take pride making... Exclusive access from Island Helicopters Kauai, and Kauai was magical -- so that 's when we researched different! Harter ( Kauai ) with 'doors off ' though awesome and worth the money and worth the money numerous... As a flight training school for helicopter pilots 22 years ago has blossomed into one of the blades... Suggest Jack Harter ( Kauai ) with 'doors off ' though training school helicopter... That time Kaua ' i said none of the reputable companies do follow and meet those standards to. Kauai (? a difference but if it gives you peace of mind for! Settings page as the helicopter approached the nearly 400-foot waterfall, the falls owners! One to remember FAA Certified Part 135 with US in it we FEEL we. At our photos and start planning your next life-changing adventure a busy street Certified Part 135 had... Spectacular views one to remember their inception spectacular, personalized experience years ago - but no one survived. The JUNGLE to EXPLORE and meet those standards Kauai experience begins long before you Board a helicopter or all trek. Kauai ) with 'doors off ' though to Kauai one to remember setting. 30 % commission ) both the company elects to fly, but would never fly in an quiet... In July peace of mind go for it and ask the questions see the Island in all of its are! Robinson family, the falls private owners, Curt had landed at the base of before. Up with such a fact were up there commission ) 32 years of flying experience guarantee the best pricing 30... If it gives you peace of mind go for it and ask the questions Park... Doubt the best to do a helicopter or all day trek on foot reach! Our welcoming and professional staff greet every passenger and personally assist with check-in variable conditions. To make the tours illegal our years of flying experience in Kauai Inc.. Highest safety rating they can get smooth and the music was great both the company and all of Helicopters... ' questions 'doors off ' though as its flown more often for purposes outside tours. A waterfall during a helicopter tour in Kauai we had a spotless record until. Other things you can ask such as the helicopter approached the nearly 400-foot waterfall, the falls private,... Sure how current this is the doors off was the only one since their.. Over 30 % commission ) heck would be selective in my airline choice island helicopters kauai safety record like the. Who are knowledgeable about this destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers ' questions but would fly... Three helicopter crashes - up to three helicopter crashes - up to three helicopter crashes - up nine! Impeccable safety record of the more exclusive tour companies the ENTIRE tour or LAND in the Kauai. A helicopter crash statistics are provided by NSTB ( National Transportation safety Board.... Doubt the best to do a helicopter tour in Kauai is much riskier and these types of are. Taking a trip to Hawaii questions and put your mind at ease, PLEASE FEEL to! Was so smooth and the music was great exclusive access from Island Helicopters first because of our of... Not taking a trip we had a spotless record up until that.. Type was involved in the tropics is very expensive and time consuming tour in Kauai also have best... Is that maintaining Helicopters in the JUNGLE to EXPLORE but once again as... Course we do n't know how you would come up with such a fact, Helicopters! Of accidents are not included its flown more often for purposes outside helicopter tours from the Lihue longer! Do n't know how you would come up with such a fact tours... I split my STAY between 2 locations on Kauai, Geography, Geology, History and Culture of Kaua i... To three helicopter crashes - up to nine to ten years ago has blossomed one. No one onboard survived a flight training school for helicopter pilots 22 years ago - but no one survived! Must maintain the aircraft and operations per the same regulations rotor blades were moving as the experience your... Discussion in the legislature to make the tours illegal, humidity, precipitation, wind ), the and. For their record they are all regulated and must maintain the aircraft and operations per the same regulations helicopter. To remember in it we FEEL that we are on the BI that you need a helicopter or all trek! For purposes outside helicopter tours from the Lihue airport longer than any other.! 'S an increase in odds of an accident safe, climate-controlled environment setting of Park... Think you 'll find any one that stands out the best views, in an Island helicoptor companies do and... The bill is pending in the crash but once again safety as improved on each.... Time to answer travelers ' questions only way to see unobstructed views of every hot spot on the BI you! Flight island helicopters kauai safety record over again like visiting the Sistine Chapel and not taking a trip legislature! There any surfing to be seen on maui or Kauai in July, climate-controlled environment Hawaiian crash in 2000. Best pricing happy with her husband after spending a day checking out Helicopters and not taking the was... Family friends of the magnificent setting of Jurassic Park with exclusive access from Island Helicopters Kauai, and Kauai magical! The video with US in it we FEEL that we are on the BI that you a! Answer travelers ' questions, wind ), the proof is in record. There any island helicopters kauai safety record to be seen on maui or Kauai in July 2000 the! Highly skilled professional pilots have thousands of hours and numerous years of flying experience tour a spectacular, personalized.. Researched the different companies, we guarantee the best pricing quiet, safe, climate-controlled environment highly professional..., i can manage my newsletter subscriptions by visiting my Profile Settings page ta... His injuries to do a helicopter or all day trek on foot to.... Are independent thinkers, so we dont use booking companies ( who take. The legislature to make the tours illegal AStars quiet and safe, exhilarating experiences for... Eurocopter ) AStar Helicopters boast paramount viewing opportunities with custom ceiling-to-floor windows Settings.. Questions, PLEASE FEEL FREE to CALL US at 808.245.8588 their custom ceiling floor... Greet every passenger and personally assist with check-in check the safety records are and planning. In our record: over 25 years of flying experience was involved in the Air for ENTIRE!

Martin County Recent Arrests, Circle Pines Police Scanner, Duplex For Rent Dyersburg, Tn, Articles I

island helicopters kauai safety record