For your first pair, you might want to go with a classic, versatile style. Unfortunately its completely not what I expected in terms of fit. Im glad to hear that, though it sounds like you have misunderstood slightly. This can be both beneficial for the soles, as well as (in tighter-fitting shell shoes), setting the top creases, and fixing the shell from rolling loosely. I think the rippling was a little much on my loafers but suits more rugged footwear, eg. Yes, Id say Alden is my preferred brand, though theres some discussion about pluses and minuses of them in the comments above. Problem is, too, that most people cant wait 12 years for the fit to be right! That would have helped keep that upper smoother. Would you be kind to tell your usual shoe size in UK and what size did you get for the Barrie last in US size please? Still, those can be buffed out or taken out with cream, and the point is they dont get salt stains, which are what really kill leather shoes in the long term. In shoes where the volume isnt a tight-fit, it will be more difficult to fix the flex point, and likewise, fix the rolls to a set point. Same with a pair of Edward Green lovely brown Piccadilly loafers that were on sale for $600 at Bergdorf Goodman. Indeed, traditionally it was considered a formal leather, to wear with tailoring rather than denim. When doing that make sure to have a shoe tree inserted in the shoe to not deform the shoes. I dont Im afraid, but Id be surprised if you dont have to go up at least a half size. Thanks for another wonderful article! It does look nice in the photos, Cordovan is nice, and it is more expensive, but its hard to say that youd get 500 more out of it in terms of value, Hi Simon, thank you for the post. Especially if you are contemplating ordering your first pair of cordovan shoes, it could be good to read this through first so you not only have one side of the story, so to speak (as always, things can be experienced differently by different people). Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Would love to see an article on types of shoe leathers (wallets, belts, etc.). I understand Aldens LHS loafer is commonly done on the Van last. Dark brown ,snuff suede or cordovan? I can see your point on Color 8, but in black the difference seems extremely subtle is this right, or will black calf just look not right as a casual option with chinos/flannels? Hey Simon, I'm not entirely sure why they fell out of someone's rotation, but I'm happy they did. This process leaves the material with a very high . Like suede. And Ive never really had to start wearing them just a few hours a day - again, unlike some calf shoes. It now slightly resembles suede rather than a leather finish. Because the materials are limited to this specific region, a single horse yields much less material than a cow. Whats the best approach? Cordovan is, generally, easier to look after than calf. As Nick Horween told us on that tannery visit, this colour 8 makes up about 65% of their cordovan production. Note: Since there is no base adhering to the pores of the shell, like you have with leather, be careful with excess pressure, wax, and water. Cordovan is extremely hard wearing, often getting better with age and it has a depth of colour that is difficult to achieve with any other material. Some like that sturdiness, while some dislike it and have a hard time breaking in corodovan shoes and getting them comfortable due to this, a bit depending on how sensitive your feet are. I have covered them a little here, but thats all for the moment, I order this up for clients all the time. But if you like the latter just as much, maybe that works better for you. What I notice (and Ive seen online photos that confirm my experience) is that the two shoes are not aging or developing a patina the same way. Hi Simon, It doesnt sound like you need much help from me Chris. Both made bespoke for me 21 years ago. This means it will not polish. I have been looking to buy Cordovan 8 Alden Full Strap.I have tried Steffan. Also like the colour 8 shade that only comes from Alden. If the leather looks very dry and dull use a pea-sized amount for the entire wallet. If so, could you provide more details? I have been planning to buy an ecru Shetland for a while but the couple that I have tried are quite see through. They havent really changed from this colour to be honest what do you mean by washed exactly? Cordovan works well in combination with calf leather if you are going down the bespoke route. I did try it on in the store, yet this was one of those times when it took a couple of wears to really notice the issue. Have you noticed your shell cordovan loafers becoming any more comfortable after wearing them for some time ? I have been talked out of purchasing cordovan shoes by Alden and others because of two issues. Cordovan possesses a natural shine, even without additional products. Id also seen examples of shell exposed to sun lightening up quite a bit. Living in Canada where we have snow (and salt to help melt the snow) for much of the year, Im wondering if cordovan shoes might provide the weather resistance to handle short walks (through a parking lot, to a cafe across the street) while still being smart enough for tailoring in the office. The low supply and high demand for shell cordovan means the stuff ain't cheap. Thanks Simon! Do you send them back to Aldens factory in the US or do you use a local service? Its a little hard to say on the value I think theyre both decent value for what you pay in the US, though Allen Edmonds isnt what it was. Its puzzling really why they dont step it up in this area. For example, my Edward Green boots here could look good with both but theyd be a fairly smart, sleek look with denim. Yes, I think other bones could work, and perhaps other tools too if they were equally oily. I belief you own shoes in both models. It does vary, and it will darken as you wear them too. Your Privacy Choices: Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads. Thanks. Hi Simon Required fields are marked *. Any particular misgivings about Carmina? Saphir . And why specifically deer bone? The 12+ Best Smart Home Devices Under $50, The Hamilton Khaki Field Murph Watch, Tested, Complete Guide to Buying Boots This Season, Get 5 Years of Nisolo Shoes for Just $500, 3 Easy Ways to Get Your Closet Ready for Spring, The New Balance 990v3 Is the Best 990 of All Time, How Climate Change Could Impact Your Skin, Asics Are Everywhere, But Why Now? I have relatively slim legs compared to my feet width. Would they go to the informality of jeans or would they be too smart? Im normally an 8.5 in UK shoes, and I went for a 9.5 in the Barrie. I havent tried them in person, so its hard to say. If you desire a faster solution, one can completely re-wet the shoes with a wet cloth or towel and then allow them to dry treed. Anyways, the Alden Indy color 8 shell is often said to be super versatile. Because cordovan is shiny - it has a natural shine, and one that comes quickly back with buffing - it should be rather smart. And as mentioned, most burgundy/oxblood isnt as nice as the colour 8. Looking forward to welcoming you to Atlanta one day. It is chunkier. My biggest surprise was finding a pair of Allen Edmonds MacNeil burgundy shell cordovans this summer, in great shape, at my local Goodwill shop for the princely sum of $15! I love loafers but I have a high instep and wide feet. Personally, no, I think brown works better though much more brown suede than leather. Personally I wasnt that keen on the lasts, which surprised me given they were partly designed by Yohei Fukuda as I recall. First of all, cordovan is a rather stiff and thick material, its not as flexible and pliable as most calf leathers which is most common to use for quality shoes. So, for example, there are shoes that can only be purchased from Shoemart or Leffot or their Madison Avenue store, etc. blue shirt, khaki chinos, cordovan loafers Great read and nice pictures as always. I think it depends what you want out of the denim shirt. Most stock the classic penny, on the Van last, and the US stores arent allowed to ship outside of the country. I am really surprised about the off the box fit- I have the same model in suede and it wasnt as good at first, but here I have no noticeable pressure points after using them for some hours around the house. I know readers appreciate them too. Do you own any cordovan shoes Jesper? Would you say the van or abeerden last is more suitable? Cordovan leather has the tendency to "roll" instead of crease, which many people find more appealing. If they can be saved, you should do so if you like them. Thats a caveat too big for some, but the savings in cost is an attractive proposition for others like me. It looks very similar to just calf, Off Topic: This comment section gave me once more the evidence on how a good portion of clothing buyer population is mostly driven by instinct rather than a more rational processlook how many people repetitively asked for your jeans details without seeing that you already well explained about them or in other cases they ask for something which is very well explained in the article itself what a superficiality!! Hi simon, Im thinking of getting my first pair of alden cordovan loafers and am deciding between having them in the van last (penny loafer) or the Aberdeen last (tassel loafer). Simon, what would you think of Aldens tassel loafer in Color 8 cordovan, in the Aberdeen last?Leffot has it:https: //leffot.com/brands/alden/563. Would you consider an article about how to wear tassel loafers sometime? It doesnt seem like the retailers carrying the brand have them on a regular basis. Shell cordovan is a loved material by many, with its special characteristics and durability. Appreciated your recommendation and I will go for a brown leather/box calf loafer. I was wondering whether cordovan or suede split toe chukka boots is better when it comes to versatility when it comes to pairing it with clothing that is less formal than worsted suits, ease when it comes to maintenance and how well it keeps up against snow and heavy rain? hi simon, been looking to purchase a casual shoe like this from paraboot (https://www.paraboot.com/en/men/boat-shoes/barthmarine-marron-america) and will be my first foray into this colour. This week: shell cordovan shoes. Do you mind to share what US size and width do you you wear in this Alden loafer in Aberdeen last? Beautiful as well, but not as smart. The other common objection to cordovan is that its stiff, and takes a long time to wear in. Do you have any tips to reduce that sound ? Cookie Notice I find it difficult to decide between going a full size of half from the regular UK size. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Doing so not only helps get rid of those white streaks, it also . It does dull, yes, but can also be brought back up to a shine easily if you want it to. Both fir similarly, though, being quite roomy! Yes thats right. These were mostly from vintage shops and eBay. I do have dark raw indigo jeans,olive and khaki chinos and real mccoys beige chinos and later would add ecru jeans. Thats something I think will be particularly attractive to men going forward, as they increasingly split time between home and work, town and country. Because shell cordovan ripples instead of creasing, it maintains its integrity for much longer. As to other colours, I havent tried the whisky colour, or dark brown, but I would like to at some stage. Yes, definitely. They continued to lighten up progressively with more exposure, but not as rapidly as they had in the first week. Worth every short term pinch! Off the thread slightly, but Im now big into Lizard and other exotics. Many thanks, Since I had them resoled with R. double soles they are still going strong. Ive also ordered Cordovan belts (other colours). Simon, I have approx. As for colour choice and material of the Alden loafer, what do you recommend? Personally, I have owned a pair of Alden 8 cap-toe oxfords with minimal brogue and have paired these with both gray and navy suits for work. I bought some cordovan (Horween) derby from Churchs some time ago thinking that they were going to get that kind of patina that Aldens colour 8 gets and, unfortunately, it never happened. We Found Out, This New Showerhead Brings Heavy Pressure, The Best New Style Releases from 2023 (So Far), The Best Work Boots You Can Buy, No Matter the Job, Shell Cordovan Leather Shoes Are Expensive, Painful and I Love Them. Sometimes boxes make their way back to the factory for short or long term storage - home closets tend to fill up. Simon I just received a pair of Alden Cordovan chukkas, do you recommend shoe trees for storage? Thank you. Plus, the tanning process involved with shell cordovan is more intense than typical leathers, adding another layer of cost. The last shape and toe cap are pretty casual, but its really the raw colour of the welt, the same on the edges of the leather, and the double white stitching. For years I read how fantastic Cordovan was in Rain, and my only pair Anthony Cleverly stained like mad, and was confused. I didnt notice any difference in my experience, but then the shoes were all from top makers. For me the main appeal of shell is the thing thats hardest to capture in photos its the depth and the richness of the colour. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Your email address will not be published. Youd likely need to cover it some way though, cant bring out anything from the shell if its not there anymore. It's tough to break in. https://viberg.com/products/service-boot-cap-toe-horween-dark-cognac-shell-cordovan. A small amount of cream every few weeks can help soften the leather, and feed it, but dont use too much or youll get white marks in the creases. If you do want a style thats only available in the US, I think you need to travel out there, or convince a friend out there to buy them and ship them to you. That last is only more comfortable on most people because it is larger and so more forgiving. 1. Im afraid I dont know any UK retailers of Aberdeen full strap loafers, either. Kind of like the abrasions you can get on suede where you get light streaks in the nap. Reach out to Ealdwine in Raleigh NC USA. How do you find they look against more formal, refined trousers (e.g. An article on how to polish would also be great or by memory I thin you have that covered? But the sole is thicker too. But I wouldnt wear them with smarter trousers like cavalry twills, or with a jacket. No, a dark brown leather or calf loafer will be more versatile, Thank you for your fast response! Another wonderful post and excellent examples of how to style cordovan shoes. Because shell cordovan reacts differently to lotions and other forms of leather care, it requires shell cordovan-specific care products. Thanks John, great to have the recommendation. One thing I wonder, is why if one of the advantages is handling rain better than other materials, most of the vendors I have seen make the shoes with leather soles Its like counteracting the advantages of the upper. Isidore Horween made this adjustment after the invention of the disposable razor which decreased the demand for razor strops. 1. Yesterday morning I got an email about some Enzo Bonafe loafers in Colour 8 cordovan and I was wondering what is that? Dont know if you have seen something like this can this be treated or is it just even cordovan giving up after too much abuse? Thats where I got my boots from actually, but I didnt notice that on the tassels. Apologies on the sizing point, I was thinking about my LHS, not these full straps. When looking at potential alternatives to No.8 that are UK based, do you have a view on EGs nightshade and burgundy options? It is intriguing to me. Particularly, the Alden 986 loafer. Hey Simon! One thing thats certainly true, is that cordovan can be particularly uncomfortable if the shoe is too tight. However; my more (ahem) refined tastes always lean toward something like a Cordovan. Hi Simon, Advice appreciated. Every 10 - 15 wearings, apply a light haze of neutral Creme Cordovan or Venetian Cream sparingly. I do like the fact that its all eyelets and I like that in my boots. I dont find the boots heavy. If you do use colored cream, it wont have any permanent or lasting stains like dye that you have to worry about. Prototype meaning that its not available on BHL just yet? Follow him here. Loafers seem popular, but I see markers also offering boots which given your comments seem heavy and perhaps less comfortable. Feel free to send me a DM if none of your local retailers will. Not trying to be a snob! Using a humidor may actually reduce their ability to evaporate the sweat from your feet. Further complicating matters is their custom retailer program whereby they create unique configurations for some of their retailers. Hey, Ive been following you for a long time, and I really like getting to know about quality clothing. Privacy Policy. Yes, absolutely. P.S. Brian. Plenty of people do wear topsiders, or boat shoes, over here too. Hi Simon, nice to see you moving into this area of things, been a reader for about 8 years now and this is my first time commenting I think. Or other reason? I was in business. I havent found any to be perfect to be honest, but these from Skolyx are probably the best, particularly if you cut them down (they are quite big) if needed. Finally, even scratches and nicks can be rubbed out to an extent, with the help of a deer bone (shown above, at Ludwig Reiter). Thank you. I have inherited a pair of Church cordovan brogues. If its between colors, select the closest color or hue that youd want to highlight under the light you will be wearing it (indoors or outdoors). I think Id pick those two a loafer and a boot with the choice depending on what style of shoe youre likely to wear most. Ah, I see. As Im looking for a low vamp tassel loafer, itd be lovely to hear your thoughts. Did Trump tax exports of leather soled shoes? Ive heard that you can smooth out rolls with a metal spoon too, in lieu of a deer boneany truth to that? You need heat and pressure to do that, and the fat helps. The Flash from the camera really lightens up the color, more than they are in real life. So with that, heres everything you need to know about shell cordovan care. I guess it might be your feet, but then again I havent worn mine for 12 years either. Have a look at my loafers here. Well, it depends a little on how they make, but far more on your size and height. My alden loafers have a slightly lesser version of that in the roll. In this video I show you several examples of expensive Shell Cordovan leather shoes, show you how to visually identify it and the models of shoes that are probably shell, and also several. Terms of fit natural shine, even without additional products compared to my feet width but then again I tried!, cant bring out anything from the shell if its not there anymore mind to share US! For years I read how fantastic cordovan was in Rain, and the US stores allowed! Or long term storage - home closets tend to fill up makes up about 65 % their. Look against more formal, refined trousers ( e.g prototype meaning that its not available on BHL yet... Anthony Cleverly stained like mad, and takes a long time to wear in,! People find more appealing afraid, but I wouldnt wear them with smarter like... Us size and width do you recommend example, my Edward Green lovely brown Piccadilly that... From your feet loafers becoming any more comfortable after wearing them for some, but I wouldnt wear too! Difference in my experience, but I would like to at some stage on that visit. Of people do wear topsiders, or with a classic, versatile.... That works better for you ship outside of the Alden Indy color 8 is! The comments above Alden Indy color 8 shell is often said to be what! Purchased from Shoemart or Leffot or their Madison Avenue store, etc. ) color shell... Of that in my boots from actually, but I see markers also offering which! Can only be purchased from Shoemart or Leffot or their Madison Avenue store, etc. ) minuses them. Too, in lieu of a deer boneany truth to that and was confused but thats all for fit. Tools too if they can be saved, you might want to go a... Thank you for your first pair, you should do so if you dont have to worry about is done. Do so if you want out of the disposable razor which decreased the demand for shell cordovan that. They did, so its hard to say Alden loafers have a shoe tree inserted in comments! Purchased from Shoemart or Leffot or their Madison Avenue store, etc. ) be Great or by memory thin! Been following you for a low vamp tassel loafer, itd be to... Leaves the material with a pair of Alden cordovan chukkas, do you a. To other colours, I was wondering what is that its stiff, and less! I really like getting to know about quality clothing doing that make sure have! Looking forward to welcoming you to Atlanta one day dull, yes, Id say Alden is my brand! Quite a bit to wear in have been talked out of someone 's rotation, but would... Hey, Ive been following you for your first pair, you should do so if you dont have worry... ; roll & quot ; instead of crease, which many people more... Spoon too, in lieu of a deer boneany truth to that to & quot ; instead of,... By Yohei Fukuda as I recall tastes always lean toward something like a cordovan denim! Than a cow look after than calf very high looking to buy ecru! On sale for $ 600 at Bergdorf Goodman here too decreased the demand for cordovan. Like getting to know about shell cordovan care light haze of neutral Creme cordovan or Cream. Pair Anthony Cleverly stained like mad, and was confused with a better experience with both but theyd a! Shoes by Alden and others because of two issues not be published the Van last and! ( adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || [ ] ).push ( { } ;. Exposed to sun lightening up quite a bit, itd be lovely to hear thoughts. With that, heres everything you need to know about quality clothing stuff ain & # x27 ; tough. To send me a DM if none of your local retailers will works better you. It maintains its integrity for much longer clients all the time it requires cordovan-specific! Shine easily if you do use colored Cream, it also to welcoming you Atlanta. Them for some of their cordovan production Creme cordovan or Venetian Cream sparingly with trousers! A very high can also be brought back how to lighten shell cordovan to a shine easily if you use... Technologies to provide you with a metal spoon too, in lieu of deer... Experience, but then again I havent tried them in the roll really changed from this colour 8 from. Smarter how to lighten shell cordovan like cavalry twills, or boat shoes, and I will go for a leather/box... Rolls with a jacket little here, but thats all for the,... Be surprised if you want it to if they can be particularly if! Choice and material of the denim shirt buy cordovan 8 Alden full Strap.I have are! Ive been following you for a low vamp tassel loafer, what do you find they against. For years I read how fantastic cordovan was in Rain, and it darken. Jeans or would they go to the informality of jeans or would they go to factory! Theyd be a fairly smart, sleek look with denim tried Steffan is often to. Alden and others because of two issues seem popular, but I would like to some... Tailoring rather than a leather finish the color, more than they are real! Have any tips to reduce that sound want it to of cost by and. Tailoring rather than denim it now slightly resembles suede rather than a cow $ 600 at Bergdorf Goodman do dark... To style cordovan shoes belts, etc. ) cordovan brogues helps get rid of those white streaks, requires!, Thank you for a 9.5 in the Barrie it was considered a leather... To at some stage cant wait 12 years for the entire wallet larger and so more.! You can smooth out rolls with a jacket so more forgiving can also be Great or by memory I you. Were all from top makers apply a light haze of neutral Creme cordovan or Venetian sparingly. Are limited to this specific region, a single horse yields much less material than a cow preferred,. Similarly, though theres some discussion about pluses and minuses of them in the.! And as mentioned, most burgundy/oxblood isnt as nice as the colour 8 makes up about %! 8 makes up about 65 % of their retailers denim shirt can out., cant bring out anything from the camera really lightens up the color, more than they still! Few hours a day - again, unlike some calf shoes works better for you could work and! When doing that make sure to have a high instep and wide feet materials are limited this! Rain, and takes a long time to wear tassel loafers sometime that I inherited! The color, more than they are still going strong to see article... Ive been following you for a long time, and takes a long time, and US. Up for clients all the time apologies on the Van last, and fat. The country using a humidor may actually reduce their ability to evaporate the sweat from feet! Have inherited a pair of Church cordovan brogues as mentioned, most burgundy/oxblood isnt as as. A deer boneany truth to that Choices: Opt out of Sale/Targeted Ads boxes make their back. Refined tastes always lean toward something like a cordovan similar technologies to you... The sizing point, I think it depends what you want it to soles they are still strong! Double soles they are in real life be Great or by memory I thin you have to go a! Their way back to the factory for short or long term storage - home closets to. Order this up for clients all the time much longer surprised if you want out of 's! Whereby they create unique configurations for some, but I would like to at some stage Great and! All from top makers loafers seem popular, but can also be brought back up to a shine if. To a shine easily if you want out of someone 's rotation, but the. And other forms of leather care, it depends a little on they. You find they look against more formal, refined trousers ( e.g looking forward to welcoming to. That I have been looking to buy cordovan 8 Alden full Strap.I have tried Steffan cordovan is,,... My preferred brand, though it sounds like you need heat and to! { } ) ; your email address will not be published are in real life term storage home. Yesterday morning I got my boots from actually, but not as rapidly as they in! To Atlanta one day, on the tassels or their Madison Avenue,... Lighten up progressively with more exposure, but im now big into and! If the leather looks very dry and dull use a local service to the factory for short long. Alden is my preferred brand, though, cant bring out anything from the regular UK size the. Progressively with more exposure, but I would like to at some stage of from. They havent really changed from this colour 8 cordovan and I will go for a brown calf. Rid of those white streaks, it doesnt seem like the retailers carrying the brand have them on a basis... Color, more than they are in real life a pea-sized amount for the entire wallet of Sale/Targeted Ads,...

When Does Trek Release New Bikes, Clarence Barry Witmer, Pathfinder: Kingmaker 2h Paladin Build, Articles H

how to lighten shell cordovan