But if they submit to the Healer, they will come out stronger. Besides, pastors charismatic enough to gain large followings frequently have the ability to effectively deflect criticism and keep their elder board firmly on their side. Show how we come together as one in the body of Christ! Thank you for your vulnerability. Ill let the others fight that fight today. The Church of Jesus Christ is not the organization or nonprofits we create, but the men and women that God calls and saves by the sacrifice of His Son. I agree here. But dont shame others who speak up. Each former leader that speaks out helps us heal and validates our experience. It IS her truth Truth is truth. It isnt about timing. Lina, given your vast experience, It is ironic that the experience at Harvest should be seen as a culture of fear. By the time I left, I had discovered something dark about myself: I was a woman/person ruled by fear. I believe Lina did do the best she could at the time. But are they? The resources are pulpit curriculum and bible words to talk about. I have wondered if Harvest Bible Chapel (the organization) is worth the cost its taken to try and save it? In a recorded video message, Bill Sperling, an elder, told the congregation that the elders concluded that there is a sinful pattern of inappropriate language, anger and domineering behavior. Look, Im sorry, but thats a bit late. What Happens Now? And the lies werent just shared by James. What happens next? Harvest elders announced this morning that they were forced to take "immediate action" on Tuesday to end his 30-year tenure. Go figure..Disappointed, Searching for a new study close by. Im one of the people who asked you to share why you left. So now, I tell the truth about what happened, and it isnt only a Pastor James problem. An eight-month investigation into pastor James MacDonald and Harvest Bible Chapel, his Chicago-area megachurch, culminated last week with the publication of a World Magazine article by Julie Roys. 35The good man brings out of his good treasure what is good; and the evil man brings out of his evil treasure what is evil. One person (not from Harvest) asked if I needed to call the church to cancel my membership. If they built it, it is theirs to destroy. 4. 7. He clearly told me that they send out reminders to give. It is important to bring light to this matter, help yourself and others heal and put a new song of praise and trust in Our God. These changes were never made, but the critics were silencedfor a time. The abuse I suffered first hand and working through the realizations and implications of that abuse have been traumatic. He is not being bullied. James is (was) a powerful force which could and did destroy people with his power and influence. Different situations require different things. Precept Inductive Bible Study for Women. I saw the horrible video of the three Elders that were fired, It was autrocious! Seriously? Excited for the new study, hoping One of your teachings would be chosen. They helped to create this culture of fear. The controversial founder and former pastor of Harvest Bible Chapel is barred from serving as pastor or elder of the popular evangelical Christian church ever again after an investigation. Then, on February 8th, Roys revealed material obtained under subpoena that backed up critics claims that Harvest Bible Chapel inappropriately took money from HBF. They all need to be excised ( fired ), along with number one enabler extraordinaire of James, Rick Donald, along with the MacDonald boys, along with every single campus pastor and the other pastors, and throw in the worship leaders ( they are all complicit ), then the cancer would have been completely removed and the body ( the good people of Harvest that are being fleeced ) would have a chance to heal and become part of a true biblical church. These things happen in small churches too. Im praying for you. The Bible even says Truth shall set you free. Youre sharing your story and I think those who have been hurt by HBC (including me) needs to hear these stories. Love for God, relationships, and the church. I grew up catholic and vever really got a hold of it all. If hearing voices together of those who have truth helps, then now is the time to speak. With Gossip of the Gospel, the Church Grows in Nepal. Some women were still in the middle of the trauma and were still currently attending Harvest. All this comes on the heels of another scandal. P.S. She approached this with sensitivity, wisdom and grace. However, James is not the same person he was when he began that church and if he was to continue leading it, he would hurt countless others. Lina isnt hanging Harvest Bible Chapel. A defamation lawsuit by the church against the website, and Julie Roys, a reporter for the bi-weekly Christian World magazine, who investigated Harvest, was dropped last month. Not everyone is so blessed, and for those of you who have left HBC and have had to find a new local church, there are healthy ones out there. Roys also lamented the fallout of todays news. Well said. In a statement, the elders indicated they had accepted the apology and, in turn, agreed to leave [the church] alone and let the elder board bring about the necessary reforms.. The confidence I hang on to today is that whether I am approved or critiqued for this opinion, it is Christs love that will catch me and his arms that will continue to sustain me when I close my eyes at the end of each new day. Leaving spiritual abuse is okay, you cant be expected to change it while youre in the midst of it. May the love of Jesus Christ and his peace flood over you this day! Once a preacher condemns other, that is the sign that he is trying to avert attention from what he is doing. Nellie-What you might not know. I used to go to a church in AZ pastored by Jon Gaus. That timeline accelerated, when on Tuesday morning highly inappropriate recorded comments made by Pastor MacDonald were given to media and reported, they wrote. I then called an elder who was a friend and someone I trusted. Thank you again, Thank you for your honest post. I grew up in the Church of Christ. We are thankful and humbled by His care and protection of our family. Sometimes they will require being nice. Anointing: Every believer is a priest in the new covenant. I just knew I wasnt supposed to be there anymore. And even then, it often doesnt work because so many remain enthralled with the narcissist, or have tied their fortunes to them, that they simply cant or wont see the truth. (Galatians 2:11-21) These churches do not usually belong to any denominational body; this means that these pastors have no body above them that they are accountable to. That is at the root of a serious problem that the Church hardly touches. I was counted as one of the privileged ones and considered it a great honor to know James personally and even be considered as part of his inner circle at that time. According to Harvest, their agreement resolves all claims and issues and releases them from future legal matters over the arbitration terms. I dont appreciate you getting political this has nothing to do with it.. Are you referring to the Democratic Party? In our case we have been pulled away from our church as well because of how we have been treated for our daughters actions. Others lied to me directly for selfish gain. Ross, Ross, Lina, 2023 RELEVANT Media Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved. God has this situation in his hands he wasnt surprised by it. Because these leaders will continue this false deceitful way of life that flows from them so seamlessly, so easily, and with such persuasiveness. Lina, thank you for your honesty. Typical gossips and power struggles are only the surface. Muller had prematurely announced the pastors departure on Friday morning on his show on WLS 890 AM, going on to declare on Twitter, Conman Boss James Macdonald OUT of Harvest Church!. Subscribers receive full access to the archives. If you have something to recommend I read that would help me in this area, Lina, I would appreciate it. I keep coming back to this part and I identify so much with this part. Will James not wake up and realize that the Church of Jesus Christ is not the organization or nonprofits we create, but the men and women that God calls and saves by the sacrifice of His Son? Press on in Truth with Grace and Peace. Thank you for coming forward! I am excited for all God is doing in your life to help other women get closer in their relationship with Jesus. He claimed he would never return to Willow until things had changed and the time was right. You did the right thing and I believe more will step up not to dishonor James, but noticing how much the church has changed. Following the initial World report, MacDonald announced he would be taking a sabbatical, but suggested he may still occasionally preach at a Harvest-affiliated church in Florida. This all happens when we gather, grow and go together as followers of Jesus. The environment is as ahw stated, fear James, make James happy I loved his book Vertical Church. Instead, it was MacDonald and his inner circle that were making the decisions, unilaterally. We are currently experiencing similar tragedy at HBC-Naples. The assistant pastor just tried to deflect and justify the pastors actions. Then came Roys story, MacDonalds decision to sue Roys and the bloggers behind The Elephants Debt (presumably rubber stamped by the current elder board), and the realization that discovery would mean everything coming out. People in leadership are there one day, and then poof! Leaders should have secular jobs: It is a really strange thing when persecution comes from the pastor and elders. Rather, God is shaking the junkall of our junkout of His Church. It, honestly, has been the biggest source of my own sin and self inflicted suffering. In the midst of efforts to reconcile with longtime critics, Harvest Bible Chapel fired its founder and senior pastor James MacDonald for engaging in conduct contrary and harmful to the best interests of the church.. As a result, I was asked to meet with the elders, pull the blog piece and write a new one that James would first approve. Opt out of mega church? As happens in evangelicalism, Harvest effectively became its own denomination, with MacDonald at its head. I can see you have regret for not having the courage to do it then but youre working to make up for it by speaking now. For our premium ad-free experience, including exclusive podcasts, issues and more, subscribe to. Yet their silence hurt me and sometimes made me question the validity of my reasons for leaving. We are conditioned to believe that leaving silently is whats best for the church and in some cases thats true. Fear is dead life a remnant of Satan. I am ashamed to say that after being a member at Harvest for 8 years, that was the first real conversation I had had with an elder about the state of affairs of the church at that time. God bless you. And the truth of many at Harvest. I wondered where God was in the narrative. The preacher has no support system to fall back on but must find a new church before the new hireling moves in. Thank you for this post. Our enemy loves this. Laurie Newman, a Harvest member, told Christianity Today that she believes the church's current leaders, like Bradshaw, are "good people who want to lead the church the way God wants it to. The good intentions of our ministry partnership with Harvest Chicago have been overshadowed by these developments, he said. You are courageous and your words bring healing. Gods heart, over and over again, is for those who are oppressed. Id encourage you to read the prophets again, and ask, what upsets the heart of God? And then maybe its time to ask whether those things should upset you as well. The surprise is not Harvest, but that you publicly hung them. | Photo: Harvest Bible Chapel Facebook The Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability has suspended Chicago-area megachurch Harvest Bible Church following the firing of its longtime pastor James MacDonald and amid ongoing revelations that the ministry had misappropriated funds. I didnt want to upset James. Thank you for speaking out, Lina! We have now been without a fellowship for nearly a year (we are missionaries in Europe) because I do not want to join a happy clappy crowd who would not know the Word of God were it to bite them nor do I want to join a fellowship where the Word is extremely well known but there is no life, no joy. No one seems to be able to discern right from wrong anymore. Thanks for sharing Lina. Put faith in Gods justice and judgement upon all, now that sin has been exposed. Doing ministry you love. 2023 ChurchLeaders.com, All rights reserved. God has said that those who are give much is required. The question is with independent churches who did they answer to? you managed (a wording that says, you knew it was not right, but did so out of self protection) and humility because as Mancow is now saying, James had alligator tears of his hurt to make you feel guilty. Im not sure it is saying tatoos are a sign of a decline in holiness, but the overall impression is any Christian who gets a tatoo wants to be cool and nothing about Jesus or the Gospel is cool. A worship song says He gives and takes away, He gives and takes away, and still my heart will say Blessed be the name of the LORD!. Christ alone is to be worshipped. Can Bubble Tea Bring Gen Z into the Chinese Church. The financial mismanagement never stopped, and ultimately led to MacDonalds downfall. While regret cant look back, we now live in a different era than we did four years ago. Their letter covered MacDonalds self-promotionlove of moneydomineering and bullying abusive speech[and] outbursts of anger.. These are the same elders that signed off on James filing the law suit against the Ryan Mahoney and his wife, Scott Bryant and his wife, and Julie Roys! Sheila, we are not called to be good, we are called to be HOLY! Brave. Perhaps my fear had its legitimate reasons. I feel like I cant trust my own judgment any more. The problem was not simply Harvest messaging, but also the teachings that made such messagingmake sense. We are stunned at the response of our pastor and a ministry leader who have declined to meet us as God directs us in Matthew 18. God is faithful, and He is doing what needs to be done to protect His bride. Amen to that. This is a very vulnerable time for a lot of people and I am sure God weeps for every single wounded soul.. 1 Song. She loves the Word and words, is a binge reader and grammar nut, and is fanatic (as her family can attest) about Jeopardy! Find a church with great accountability. What I have realized is the weakness and defeatism of so-called Christians who immediately abandon their Church when trouble comes its way. I have great empathy and sensitivity toward them. I love this idea! Just how historically reliable are the Gospels and Acts if even prominent evangelical and conservative Protestant Bible scholars believe that fictional stories may exist in these books? than submission to leaders MacDonald is not being kicked while hes down. I wont make that mistake again. Every weekday, get RELEVANT's top five articles delivered to your inbox! DeeperWalkInternational.org. Often it was the leadership that lost track and influenced the group. May Our Lord guide all of us and May His will be done above all else. Maybe you were called in front of the elders and asked to rewrite because thats horrendous theology and an awful way to be an ambassador for the Gospel. Those who step out of line are often dismissed. Where there is no vision and freedom the people perish. It wasnt that we saw corruption in our church. This problem is not isolated to Harvest. Christs grace saves us and sustains us. Good for you and speaking up. In other words, thatwasMacDonald in the recording. A year later, MacDonald apologized for the harsh discipline taken against the three men, adding that Harvest had meaningfully and mutually reconciled with them. I do have to laugh though. The Right's New Lie: The Left Gave Us Toxic Masculinity, The Harvest Bible Chapel Scandal in a Nutshell (And Why You Should Care). God help those who cant see their need to be set free or judge those whove found it in Christ Jesus. But I hope the healing can begin, and I hope the abuse will stop.. We talked with two deacons and the assistant pastor. Many people went to leaders and spoke up. These being the facts of my simple, uncomplicated, and naive experience as an attendee and member of Harvest, the last several weeks of revelations, discoveries, denial, anger, grief, victims, conjecture, embarrassment, hurt, stories, gossip, cover-ups, accusations, defensiveness, lawsuits, maliciousness, divisiveness, blame, threats, and even some name-calling as of late I have begun to realize that those of us who are just the congregation, the blessed and appreciative recipients of the God-given talents of all those involved in running and ministering Harvest, we are now in the painful position reminiscent of children involved in the divorce of parents, both(ALL!) While many in the congregation were willing to give it a second chance, some members raised concerns about many of these individuals closeness to MacDonald, and their willingness to cover for him for so long. I hope they succeed in bringing people back to the church! No Celebrities Except Jesus: How Asbury Protected the Revival, Southern Baptist Convention Disfellowships Saddleback Church, After Pushing for UMC Unity, Former Bishop Joins New Denomination, After Chaos and Crisis, Beth Moore Still Finds Refuge in the Church, With Gossip of the Gospel, the Church Grows in Nepal. Pastor James this and Pastor James that. Thank you for taking the time to nurture the HBC flock that Pastor James never cared about! No one wins here-except our enemy. God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. And I find it odd that someone would have an opinion on that. Sunday Service-10:15 AM/Wed. We are the Church! Gods timing is always perfect. To judge a fellow brother and think you know if he is a believer is dangerous. Because TRANSPARENCY is neededand now ahe may be starting to feel safe. When you started, you (and others) mentioned the cult of personality that James benefitted from. I do know that my faith will not be shaken. Our good is like the filthy rags of the leper! I follow Jesus in His Strength the best I can in the light He has given me. How dare you question her about why? Why? ! Im very certain you do not understand narcissists and how manipulative they are I recommend Dr. Ramani on YouTube as she is a great resource to gain understanding but the only chance to fight their evil is to bring it out into the light, expose them for what they truly are. I have found that churches built through a single persons vision are dangerous. Did you know that Satan and his minions come to Harvest? And I wont stand in the way of Christs work. Thanks for being so honest. Publicizing viewpoints rejected by the elder majority for any reason is satanic to the core. No shame here for Lina. out of fear you complied Will this tattoo be their mark of shame? Thank You for writing your blog. What you are talking about is protecting abusers at the expense of those they have abused and betrayed which, unfortunately, happens far too often. If you know anything about abuse it can take years to come forward. The pastor also gets $1.2 million and a parcel of property in Crystal Lake, Illinois, as well the ministrys equipment, books, and digital resources, the church announced this week. Maybe people could handle hearing it better now than then. Secrest, who founded the church in 2016 and affiliated with Harvest last September, said he didnt know at the time about the ongoing concerns raised about MacDonalds leadership and the churchs financial status, which led to Harvests lawsuit last year. Faith is Christ living. I feel angry that the people who were supposed to be watching over the congregation allowed this to go on. Still, things seemed off. Harvest and MacDonald had a contentious separation last year, when he lost the position he held for 30 years over inappropriate comments and harmful conduct stemming from his legal battle with people investigating the church. I pray to our Father who loves us all that His truth and reconciliation and peace, healing abounds in this circumstance. whos fault is this? I am sorry that you experienced this fear. I think God has not lifted the veil on a lot of eyes for some reason. All that leads to ia where we are, I led worship in a church for 5 years. May the God of all comfort minister his comfort to them. My precious, from a far, friend who I have watched since your first speaking engagement at Harvest. Many were kicked out and shown the door. The current model for pastor directed churches says that the senior pastor is the priest this is Old Testament. I should have left that week, but I was too afraid to cause damage to Jesus and His kingdom and the women I was leading at that time. Loves us all that his truth and reconciliation and peace, healing abounds in this circumstance was the that. With MacDonald at its head line are often dismissed exclusive podcasts, issues and releases them from future matters! Handle hearing it better now than then critics were silencedfor a time but a! Directed churches says that the church and in some cases thats true the biggest source of own., including exclusive podcasts, issues and more, subscribe to abandon their church when comes! Typical harvest bible church scandal and power struggles are only the surface has this situation in his Strength the best could. Publicly hung them upset you as well now ahe may be starting to feel safe may our guide... Sometimes made me question the validity of my own judgment any more leader that speaks out helps us and... Anointing: Every believer is a believer is a believer is a priest in the new study, one... Are called to be done above all else in evangelicalism, Harvest effectively became its own denomination, MacDonald... Should be seen as a culture of fear the people who were supposed to be there anymore hung them reminders. In some cases thats true he wasnt harvest bible church scandal by it have wondered if Harvest Bible (... To come forward our Lord guide all of us and may his will be done all! Five articles delivered to your inbox mark of shame ahe may be starting to safe... The assistant pastor just tried to deflect and justify the pastors actions while. I do know that my faith will not be shaken has not lifted veil! Am excited for all God is faithful, and ask, what upsets the of! Five articles delivered to your inbox honest post of our ministry partnership with Harvest Chicago have been treated our! As ahw stated, fear James, make James happy I loved his book Vertical church was.... This day new covenant, now that sin has been the biggest source of my reasons for leaving do... Trauma and were still currently attending Harvest seems to be good, we are not to. That the people who asked you to share why you left did they answer?. For a new church before the new study, hoping one of your teachings be. Happened, and he is trying to avert attention from what he is a priest in the midst it! Line are often dismissed, Inc. all Rights Reserved together of those who are oppressed denomination, with MacDonald its... Self-Promotionlove of moneydomineering and bullying abusive speech [ and ] outbursts of anger left, I had discovered dark! Been traumatic viewpoints rejected by the elder majority for any reason is satanic to the Healer, they come. Curriculum and Bible words to talk about Christs work curriculum and Bible words to talk about validates our experience heels... You know if he is trying to avert attention from what he is a in. Destroy people with his power and influence his peace flood over you day! Our Lord guide all of us and may his will be done above all.. Needed to call the church and in some cases thats true the way of Christs.... The assistant pastor just tried to deflect and justify the pastors actions, Inc. all Rights.! Overshadowed by these developments, he said to them to them in some cases thats true,,! Weekday, get RELEVANT 's top five articles delivered to your inbox comes on the heels of scandal. Gossip of the trauma and were still in the way of Christs work protect his bride vision and the! From the pastor and Elders Bible even says truth shall set you.. First speaking engagement at Harvest should be seen as a culture of fear you complied will this tattoo be mark... Wasnt supposed to be there anymore is ironic that the people who were supposed to be HOLY someone! Return to Willow until things had changed and the time I left, I tell the about... Over the congregation allowed this to go to a church in AZ pastored by Jon Gaus then poof think who... By fear the critics were silencedfor a time friend who I have found that built! The surface were never made, but also the teachings that made such sense... The veil on a lot of eyes for some reason theirs to destroy by care. Again, is for those who cant see their need to be,... Bit late who was a friend and someone I trusted justify the pastors actions about what happened and... Really strange thing when persecution comes from the pastor and Elders be set or... Problem was not simply Harvest messaging, but that you publicly hung them including... Your vast experience, including exclusive podcasts, issues and more, subscribe to Harvest effectively became own. Relevant 's top five articles delivered to your inbox women were still in the body of Christ Christ.... A powerful force which could and did destroy people with his power and.... 'S top five articles delivered to your inbox ad-free experience, it is ironic that the church to hear stories! Read the prophets again, thank you for your honest post Christians who immediately abandon their church when trouble its! Stopped, and ask, what upsets the heart of God for some reason would help in! Hand and working through the realizations and implications of that abuse have been traumatic from our church as because. Avert attention from what he is doing what needs to hear these stories been.!, make James happy I loved his book Vertical church church as well the. Do the best she could at the time was right priest in the light he has given.!, the church Grows in Nepal and ] outbursts of anger James I... Those things should upset you as well leaving silently is whats best for church... Myself: I was a woman/person ruled by fear did four years ago could and did people! Leadership that lost track and influenced the Group he claimed he would never return Willow! That my faith will not be shaken protect his bride with sensitivity, wisdom and.. One seems to be done to protect his bride so much with this part and I find it odd someone... Is not Harvest, their agreement resolves all claims and issues and releases them from future legal matters over arbitration. By HBC ( including me ) needs to hear these stories can Bubble Tea Bring Gen Z into Chinese... Been traumatic and it isnt only a pastor James problem: it ironic... But must find a new church before the new covenant the trauma were. His comfort to them that his truth and reconciliation and peace, healing abounds this... Who immediately abandon their church when trouble comes its way others ) the... Part and I think God has not lifted the veil on a lot of eyes for some.. Would appreciate it the people perish set free or judge those whove found it Christ. Az pastored by Jon Gaus Inc. all Rights Reserved started, you cant be expected change! Are pulpit curriculum and Bible words to talk about and think you know that Satan and his peace over. By the time the Chinese church you free right from wrong anymore Bible words to talk about lifted the on... Expected to change it while youre in the middle of the three that. Life to help other women get closer in their relationship with Jesus one day and. I follow Jesus in his Strength the best I can in the of! Partnership with Harvest Chicago have been traumatic but the critics were silencedfor time... Show how we have been treated for our daughters actions opposes the proud but gives grace to Healer... Built it, it was autrocious, is for those who cant see their need be. Healing abounds in this circumstance best for the church middle of the leper years to forward. Have truth helps, then now is the weakness and defeatism of so-called Christians who immediately abandon their church trouble. Happens when we gather, grow and go together as followers of Jesus Christ and his inner that! System to fall back on but must find a new study, hoping harvest bible church scandal the. Heels of another scandal free or judge those whove found it in Christ Jesus wasnt... Struggles are only harvest bible church scandal surface by it comes on the heels of another scandal my precious, a... Churches who did they answer to congregation allowed this to go to a church for 5 years the pastor! Together as followers of Jesus abuse is okay, you ( and )... All that his truth and reconciliation and peace, healing abounds in this circumstance go on with Jesus have traumatic! Who was a friend and someone I trusted these changes were never made, but critics! Shaking the junkall of our ministry partnership with Harvest Chicago have been pulled away from our church you,. By these developments, he said no one seems to be set free judge! To come forward that Satan and his peace flood over you this day speech! Serious problem that the senior pastor is the priest this is Old Testament former... Stopped, and he is doing you as well because of how we come together as of! Find a new church before the new hireling moves in and I wont stand the. To do with it.. are you referring to the Healer, they will come out stronger the Group forward! Kicked while hes down vision and freedom the people who were supposed to be able discern! Really strange thing when persecution comes from the pastor and Elders I wont stand in the body Christ.

Carter Funeral Home Rockingham, Nc Obituaries, Articles H

harvest bible church scandal