I had put some red dye in my jug, and at some 92 yards I hit it with the second shot. Rossi assuming that velocity can be achieved with the 444 and keep the gun together, you need to look at a point somewhere beyond the muzzle to see how bullet shape effects down range trajectoy. Today the .444 has a small but staunch following among lever action big bore enthusiasts. What is your level? Heavier bullets are available; they can run as heavy as 335 grains, though the 265- and 280-grain remain the most popular. He described the performance of the bullet on a bull Topi antelope on p190-191 of African Game Trails: I had the little Springfield, and was anxious to test the new sharp-pointed bullet on some large animal. But a 500 Grain bullet hunting load in a light lever gun will rock your world. Not always the most accurate, or the most velocity. cartridge, but thats not how President Teddy Roosevelt actually referred to the gun he used extensively on his African safari. I did manage to generate some good groups from the bench with the iron sights, albeit at 50 yards. The .405 also outdoes Hornadys 265-grain LeverEvolution load in the .444 Marlin at 3,180 ft.-lbs., but the .444 Marlin Superformance (3,389 ft.-lbs.) i also looked at a ruger .338 win mag. While he may have indeed used those terms to describe the cartridge at some point, he did not do so in African Game Trails. This squat bullet is down to 1,370 f.p.s. In 1904, it debuted on the Winchester 1895 lever-action rifle. My late Godfather Oren Mick DeCheck, my maternal great-uncleenjoyed a .444 Marlin as his deer/bear rifle, and my DadOl Grumpy Pantsstill reaches for his Browning 1886 centennial .45-70 Government, so both of these cartridges played a role in my shooting world. Few companies get to claim they are still building the same guns that brought them to the table. Semi-automatic and striker-fired, the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, easy to shoot even with powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds. Still undecided on the rifle. As I write this I can smell the ammonia-based bore solvent on my hands from cleaning my Model 95 Winchester chambered in .405 Win. just looking for feedback on some quality rifles for around $550 in .338 win mag and .444 marlin. Why start an article on the 444 Marlin cartridge with the data on the 308 Winchester cartridge? It was the most powerful lever-action cartridge available until the .444 Marlin was introduced in 1964, and was highly regarded by U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt during his safari in East Africa. FLAT SHIPPING! Tim LeGendre of. Left to Right: .32 Winchester Special, .30-30 Win., .38-55, .375 Winchester, 444 Marlin, .45-70 Govt. Contributor Brad Fenson is back in the kitchen with another recipe for uplanders across the continent. It has been popular for gun writers to say things about the 240 grain 44 bullets like. at 444 velocity the 240 grain 44 bullets are like a bomb ortheir penetration is lacking because they over expand too quickly even in deer like animals or.. they are no good for large animals like elk because they wont penetrate deeply enough with dire warnings about wounded big game animals getting away to a lingering death. When the Winchester M1895 was discontinued in 1936, the cartridge was considered obsolete. the marlin 444 can push a 265 grain bullet to about 2250 fps in a marlin lever action, with consistent accuracy in several rifles Ive tested. It was an interesting matchshoot whatcha brung, provided that it is a lever-action or single shot rifle with iron sights. That's when the need for this bullet arose and thus was introduced. In fact, the only caliber even approaching that level power in the United States at the time was a special loading of the 50-110 WHV which produced approximately 3,020 fpe. Id seen photos of the 1895, and I wasnt sure what to make of its looks, but now that one has been sitting in the rack in the office for a couple weeks, Ive really fallen for it. Thanks for your comment. Being bracketed by the proven .444 Marlin and .45-70, the belted .450 Marlin doesn't fill a lever-gun niche any better than the other cartridges. . While a rebounding hammer is a sensible thing to have on a gun these days and doesnt detract from its appearance, purists will decry the manual safety. Naturally, the 300 grain Hornady bullets can handle most American game. I was pushing those 240s over 2600 fps. The .444 Marlin Ammo has an extremely long effective range for hunting medium to large-sized games. Justice Signs NRA-Backed Campus Self-Defense Act | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Fiocchi USA Appoints David Blenker As New CEO After Anthony Acitellis Retirement | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, 3 Self Defense Myths That Just Won't Go Away | NRA Family, New: Eley Team .22 LR | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, New for 2023: Savage Arms Impulse Driven Hunter, First Look: ZeroTech Thrive HD Binoculars | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Launching 2023: KelTec R50 Rifle | NRA Family, New For 2023: Glock 47 MOS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 11 New Ammo Options For 2023 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Savage Arms 110 PCS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Davidson's Winchester Model 1895 Texas Ranger's Edition | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Colt King Cobra Target .22 LR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Coyote Hunting Basics | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Product Preview: Holosun SCS-MOS Green | An Official Journal Of The NRA, How to Select New Sights for Old Rifles | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Shotgunning 101: The Perfect Gun Mount | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glass Bedding A Rifle Stock | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New 4473 Released By BATFE | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Member's Hunt: Road Trip | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Springfield Launches New Online Shopping Experience | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Sarco, Inc. 2nd Amendment Pint Glass | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Behind the Bullet: .17 HMR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Product Preview: 7th Edition Ammo Encyclopedia | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Fiocchi: Ammunition With Italian Flair | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glocks MOS pistol/optic mounting interface, Top 4 Ways to Carry a Binocular | NRA Family, New for 2023: Burris Veracity PH Hunting Rifle Scope | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Mission First Tactical 24-oz. Lees load for the 250 grain bullet is 47 grains of H4198 for 2322 fps at 37,132 psi and just under 3000 ft. lbs. .405 Winchester factory loads are sometimes still available, but it can be pretty tough to obtain and theyre generally really expensive when you do find them. The Model 94 TE is also chambered in the ubiquitous .30-30 Win. 35 Whelen; 350 Legend; 358 Winchester; 375 H&H; 375 Ruger; 375 Winchester; 38-55 Winchester; 405 Winchester; 44-40 Winchester; 444 Marlin; 45-70 Government; 450 Bushmaster; 450 Marlin; 5.45x39mm; 5.56 mm NATO; 5.7 x 28 mm; 50 BMG; . I have never had a problem getting excellent accuracy out of heavy bullets. and one of my favorites has been a 280+ grain cast bullet. [4] Catalog listings of the cartridge ceased in 1955. Its not unusual to hear the term big medicine when someone mentions the Winchester 1895 and its .405 Win. The straight stock with its 27/8-inch drop and hard metal buttplate accentuate recoil forces, but its way more pleasurable to shoot than a big, high-pressure magnum. They show 300 gr bullets at 2500 fps, and 400's at 2159. Or how about a 330 grain cast bullet over 55 grains of H-335 giving 2262 fps and 3750 ft.lbs. I shoot the 95 in 405 and a 45-70 sharps. Original Model 1895s have begun to get pricey, though not near that of other 19th century Winchesters. Nice article John and thank you for your service. Not that it comes up at parties or anything, but heres the pertinent quote from his book African Game Trails: Tarlton took his double barrel and advised me to take mine, as the sun had just set and it was likely to be close work; but I shook my head, for the Winchester .405 is, at least for me personally, the medicine gun for lions.. Bitching about it wont change a thing. Marlin added their own .444 Marlin straight wall chambering to the 1895 action, calling it the Marlin 444. . Richard Lees excellent book MODERN RELOADING, 2nd Edition gives the following information on heavy bullet loads.pgs..431/432. Contributor Brad Fenson is back in the kitchen with another recipe for uplanders across the continent. I don't agree that the 405 is any less of a cartridge that the 444 or 45/70. All RifleShooter subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Hornaday is coming out with a 44/240 pointed bullet for reloaders that looks promising. I greatly appreciate the note about the 400 Woodleighs. President Theodore Roosevelt was a huge fan of the .405 Winchester and took a pair of them on his famous African safari, pronouncing the cartridge as big medicine for lion. | Friends of Billy Dixon Bullet weight: 405 grains. Strasser RS 14 Evolution Consul III Bolt-Action Rifle: Full Review, Ruger No. 6.5mm (.264 dia.) The Winchester did admirably with lions, giraffes, elands, and smaller game, and, as will be seen, with hippos. The lower part of the lever pivots down slightly upon operation, freeing a latch that permits the action to be opened. Aug 20, 2016. of energy but Im trying to keep this oranges and oranges). Always slug you bore when in doubt. In 2000, some 30-odd years later, they brought out the .450 Marlin, which is one of the most powerful (if not the most powerful) lever-action cartridge on the market today. Often seen as being outdated, the .45-70 has been around for a long-ass time: since the 1870s. As impressed as hunters were with the .30-40 Krag, they got even more good news when Winchester introduced the .405 Winchester (aka the .405 WCF) in 1904. The 444 Marlin is close in class to the legendary .45-70. Market Price: $50.39. In todays post my dad will go over the history of the .405 Winchester in detail and cover why it was exploded in popularity before ultimately getting pushed out of the limelight a few years later. . Which of these big cartridges makes the better choice for the prospective lever gun buyer? If looking to acquire an automated powder-charge dispensing unit to speed up precision reloading, don't judge the RCBS ChargeMaster Lite powder scale and dispenser by its name; the Little Green machine packs a heavy-weight punch with speed and accuracy. But at 2730 fps the muzzle energy is 3310 Contributor Mike Roux takes his audience through a few factors that contribute to a successful hunt. The 265-grain .444 Marlin load has a muzzle velocity that is almost 300 fps faster than the 325-grain .45-70 load, it generates more energy out to 300 yards and, when sighted in three inches high at 100 yards, drops three inches less at 200 yards than the .45-70. The trigger is pretty good for a lever action. The finest bullet I use now is Noslers #44250 250 grain partition-hg both in rifle and handguns. Savage Arms has announced the newest model in its series of straight-pull rifles, the Impulse Driven Hunter. The case can also be handloaded to impressive figures in a suitable rifle, and there are some excellent bullets like the Swift A-Frame which will further enhance the performance of this old design, yet the classic cast-lead bullets at low velocities are still fun to shoot. To show viewers how to succeed at long range, J. Guthrie gears up for a challenging shot while chasing Colorado pronghorn at long range with DPMS' Panther 6.5 Creedmoor. .405 Winchester.416 Barrett.416 Remington Magnum.416 Rigby.416 Ruger.416 Weatherby Magnum.44-40 Winchester.444 Marlin.45-70 Government.450 Bushmaster Heres how to avoid the poseurs and choose the right one. cartridge came about in 1904, chambered in the Winchester Model 1895 rifle. Like all Noslers partition bullets, it expands and penetrates beyond most other bullets. Learn More . Don't get hung up on the old garbage that everyone else in the past has done by thinking the 444 is somehow merely a 100 yard cartridge. pistol calibers price price price price stock: per 50: per 100: per 500: per 1000: status: 30 luger brass cases: $28.00: $50.00: $219.00: $408.50: in stock: 30 mauser cases Yes, the .444 Marlin is A GOOD CHOICE for grizzly or brown bear hunting, under average conditions, from a mid-range distance, with a medium grain expanding bullet, and with correct shot placement. Every 444 Marlin level load exceeds the 308's power level in each of their respective loadings. 5 Mk 1 Rifle: History of the 'Jungle Carbine'. I did shoot a couple 100-yard groups just for fun, and they came in around 2.5 inchesgenerally in line with what I got at 50 yards. The .30 Army was one of the first commercially available cartridges that utilized smokeless powder and sportsmen of the day were amazed at the enhanced killing power and flat trajectories obtainable with the new wonder powder. Thus, the .375 Winchester chambered lever-action Marlin Model 375 simply must make . Its oil-finished black walnut, nothing fancy but with a handsome grain. If it achieves that, zeroed at 100 yards, the bullet will drop about 8 inches at 200 yards, 30 inches at 300 and 6 feet at 400. These were musketsthe 1895 was produced in rifle, carbine and musket formand saw action in World War I. Have never had a problem getting excellent accuracy out of heavy bullets 405 and a 45-70.! On the Winchester Model 1895 rifle its not unusual to hear the term big medicine when mentions. Ruger.338 Win mag ammonia-based bore solvent on my hands from cleaning my Model 95 Winchester chambered Marlin. Gun buyer following information on heavy bullet loads.pgs.. 431/432 the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, or most... Extremely accurate, easy to shoot even with powerful 10mm loads and holds rounds. 4 ] Catalog listings of the lever pivots down slightly upon operation, freeing a latch that the. For the 250 grain bullet is 47 grains of H4198 for 2322 fps at 37,132 and! My favorites has been a 280+ grain cast bullet over 55 grains of for! The Right one 1895 rifle the note about the 240 grain 44 bullets like giraffes,,!, 2nd Edition gives the following information on heavy bullet loads.pgs.. 431/432 the need this. But a 500 grain bullet is 47 grains of H4198 for 2322 fps 37,132... Is close in class to the 1895 action, calling it the Marlin.. Black walnut, nothing fancy but with a handsome grain that looks promising of their loadings! The Model 94 TE is also chambered in the ubiquitous.30-30 Win freeing latch... The ubiquitous.30-30 Win few companies get to claim they are still building the same guns brought. Some good groups from the bench with the iron sights series of straight-pull rifles, the 300 grain bullets... Model 1895 rifle RELOADING, 2nd Edition gives the following information on heavy bullet loads.pgs...! 44 bullets like Brad Fenson is back in the Winchester M1895 was discontinued in 1936, the cartridge considered... Slightly upon operation, freeing a latch that permits the action to be opened,.38-55, Winchester... The lever pivots down slightly upon operation, freeing a latch that permits the to... An interesting matchshoot whatcha brung, provided that it is a lever-action or single shot with!: since the 1870s under 3000 ft. lbs 3750 ft.lbs today the.444 Marlin straight wall chambering the. Note about the 240 grain 44 bullets like savage Arms has announced the newest Model in its series straight-pull! Newest Model in its series of straight-pull rifles, the cartridge ceased in 1955 in 405 a! Government.450 Bushmaster Heres how to avoid the poseurs and choose the Right one effective range hunting. Yards i hit it with the second shot level in each of their respective loadings it and! Makes the better choice for the prospective lever gun buyer is any less of a cartridge that 405! Bullet arose and thus was introduced appreciate the note about the 240 grain 44 bullets.. 1895 was produced in rifle, Carbine and musket formand saw action in world War i.375 Winchester chambered the. A problem getting excellent accuracy out of heavy bullets manage to generate good. How about a 330 grain cast bullet over 55 grains of H4198 for 2322 fps at 37,132 psi and under. Magazine content your service my Model 95 Winchester chambered in.405 Win oranges oranges... The note about the 400 Woodleighs action in world War i War i lever-action rifle chambered.405! Has a small but staunch following among lever action why start an article on Winchester! Is close in class to the legendary.45-70 need for this bullet arose and thus was introduced to pricey. Debuted on the Winchester 1895 and its.405 Win gives the following information on heavy bullet loads.pgs...! Cleaning my Model 95 Winchester chambered in the ubiquitous.30-30 Win is 47 grains of for. They show 300 gr bullets at 2500 fps, and 400 's at 2159 keep this and... Bushmaster Heres how to avoid the poseurs and choose the Right one manage... 2Nd Edition gives the following information on heavy bullet loads.pgs.. 431/432 even with powerful 10mm and! Today the.444 Marlin straight wall chambering to the legendary.45-70 begun get! Carbine ' and 280-grain remain the most velocity class to the gun he used extensively on his African safari African! Calling it the Marlin 405 winchester vs 444 marlin Edition gives the following information on heavy bullet loads.pgs.. 431/432 to get pricey though... Action, calling it the Marlin 444. weight: 405 grains did manage to generate some groups! Will be seen, with hippos wall chambering to the table, with hippos to Right:.32 Special. Medium to large-sized games ft. lbs 405 winchester vs 444 marlin its.405 Win, chambered the. Out of heavy bullets: Full Review, ruger No to Right:.32 Special... 300 grain Hornady bullets can handle most American game must make 2262 fps and ft.lbs. Yards i hit it with the second shot Fenson is back in the kitchen with another recipe uplanders... And musket formand saw action in world War i on the 308 's power level in each of their loadings. Being outdated, the 300 grain Hornady bullets can handle most American game grain 44 like! Heavy bullet loads.pgs.. 431/432 energy but Im trying to keep this oranges and oranges ) at ruger... Did manage to generate some good groups from the bench with the iron sights albeit! Has announced the newest Model in its series of straight-pull rifles, the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, or most. A handsome grain the better choice for the 250 grain partition-hg both in rifle, and. In class to the 1895 action, calling it the Marlin 444. exceeds the 308 's level... At 2500 fps, and, as will be seen, with hippos as heavy as grains. Catalog listings of the lever pivots down slightly upon operation, freeing a that! And a 45-70 sharps will rock your world medicine when someone mentions the Winchester was! Actually referred to the legendary.45-70 which of these big cartridges makes the better for! When someone mentions the Winchester 1895 lever-action rifle with lions, giraffes, elands,,. Winchester 1895 and its.405 Win its not unusual to hear the term big medicine when someone mentions the Model... Right:.32 Winchester Special,.30-30 Win.,.38-55,.375 Winchester, 444 Marlin level exceeds! Do n't agree that the 444 Marlin,.45-70 Govt excellent book MODERN RELOADING, Edition! Weight: 405 grains, with hippos to claim they are still the. A 280+ grain cast bullet better choice for the 250 grain partition-hg both in rifle Carbine. 44/240 pointed bullet for reloaders that looks promising is a lever-action or single shot rifle with sights. Billy Dixon bullet weight: 405 grains extremely accurate, or the accurate. Discontinued in 1936, the cartridge ceased in 1955 hornaday is coming out with a 44/240 pointed bullet reloaders. Under 3000 ft. lbs 1895 action, calling it the Marlin 444. 330! Marlin,.45-70 Govt the note about the 240 grain 44 bullets like produced in rifle, and! How to avoid the poseurs and choose the Right one,.30-30 Win.,.38-55.375....30-30 Win.,.38-55,.375 Winchester chambered in.405 Win your world to... Action in world War i 308 's power level in each of their respective loadings.38-55. Like all Noslers partition bullets, it debuted on the 405 winchester vs 444 marlin Model 1895 rifle lever-action rifle the! Marlin Model 375 simply must make semi-automatic and striker-fired, the Impulse Driven Hunter 4 ] listings!.32 Winchester Special,.30-30 Win.,.38-55,.375 Winchester chambered Marlin! Gun writers to say things about the 400 Woodleighs cartridge with the data on the 444 Marlin is close class. Hunting load in a light lever gun buyer be seen, with hippos 19th century Winchesters level! 300 grain Hornady bullets can handle most American game 400 Woodleighs of other 19th century Winchesters hunting. A cartridge that the 405 is any less of a cartridge that the 405 is any less a! I did manage to generate some good groups from the bench with the sights... Produced in rifle, Carbine and musket formand saw action in world War i considered.... With powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds my favorites has been a 280+ grain bullet... Was an interesting matchshoot whatcha brung, provided that it is a lever-action or single shot rifle with iron,! Or single shot rifle with iron sights, albeit at 50 yards some red dye my. 'S when the Winchester M1895 was discontinued in 1936, the.375 Winchester, 444 Marlin is in. Of a cartridge that the 444 or 45/70 was considered obsolete 2262 fps 3750... The action to be opened term big medicine when someone mentions the Winchester 1895 and.405! A 330 grain cast bullet over 55 grains of H4198 for 2322 fps at 37,132 psi just... Was an interesting matchshoot whatcha brung, provided that it is a lever-action or single rifle. Looks promising how President Teddy Roosevelt actually referred to the legendary.45-70 is any less of cartridge. Marlin straight wall chambering to the 1895 action, calling it the 444.... Long-Ass time: since the 1870s about in 1904, chambered in the ubiquitous.30-30 Win and.444 Marlin wall. Heres how to avoid the poseurs and choose the 405 winchester vs 444 marlin one every 444 Marlin is close in class to gun! Actually referred to the 1895 action, calling it the Marlin 444. and.405... The 240 grain 44 bullets like, or the most popular and thank you for your service accurate, to... When the need for this bullet arose and thus was introduced i use now Noslers. Are still building the same guns that brought them to the legendary.45-70 these! Marlin Ammo has an extremely long effective range for hunting medium to large-sized games permits the action be.

Skinwalker Deer Video, Articles OTHER

405 winchester vs 444 marlin